Rock On: Dante Exum's dad remembers Utah ... vaguely
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Jazz draftee Dante Exum’s first trip to Utah was on Friday to meet the press. But his dad was here once, long ago.
Cecil Exum was at the Huntsman Center in 1981, playing for North Carolina, which beat Utah 61-56 in an NCAA basketball regional. He dressed but didn’t play.
“That was a game we needed to win,” Cecil Exum said.
After a pause, he chuckled, “Did we win?”
The next year he played with the national champion Tar Heels.
Asked about his long-ago trip to Salt Lake, the elder Exum had no details, but said, “I do remember it was my first and only trip to Utah — this is my second. I remember the mountains, seeing the lake and coming in and playing basketball, and then the hotels, and then back on the plane again.”
So that makes ONE person who doesn’t remember Karl Bankowski going 1 for 9 for the Utes.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22