Rock On: Dante Exum's dad remembers Utah ... vaguely
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Jazz draftee Dante Exum’s first trip to Utah was on Friday to meet the press. But his dad was here once, long ago.
Cecil Exum was at the Huntsman Center in 1981, playing for North Carolina, which beat Utah 61-56 in an NCAA basketball regional. He dressed but didn’t play.
“That was a game we needed to win,” Cecil Exum said.
After a pause, he chuckled, “Did we win?”
The next year he played with the national champion Tar Heels.
Asked about his long-ago trip to Salt Lake, the elder Exum had no details, but said, “I do remember it was my first and only trip to Utah — this is my second. I remember the mountains, seeing the lake and coming in and playing basketball, and then the hotels, and then back on the plane again.”
So that makes ONE person who doesn’t remember Karl Bankowski going 1 for 9 for the Utes.
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- High school football: Top 10 storylines to...
- BYU coaches focus on shoring up special teams
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 106
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 75
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 64
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 46