Rock On: Dante Exum's dad remembers Utah ... vaguely
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Jazz draftee Dante Exum’s first trip to Utah was on Friday to meet the press. But his dad was here once, long ago.
Cecil Exum was at the Huntsman Center in 1981, playing for North Carolina, which beat Utah 61-56 in an NCAA basketball regional. He dressed but didn’t play.
“That was a game we needed to win,” Cecil Exum said.
After a pause, he chuckled, “Did we win?”
The next year he played with the national champion Tar Heels.
Asked about his long-ago trip to Salt Lake, the elder Exum had no details, but said, “I do remember it was my first and only trip to Utah — this is my second. I remember the mountains, seeing the lake and coming in and playing basketball, and then the hotels, and then back on the plane again.”
So that makes ONE person who doesn’t remember Karl Bankowski going 1 for 9 for the Utes.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- 4A boys state tournament central: Live...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 82
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 59
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 45
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30