Rock On: Dante Exum's dad remembers Utah ... vaguely
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Jazz draftee Dante Exum’s first trip to Utah was on Friday to meet the press. But his dad was here once, long ago.
Cecil Exum was at the Huntsman Center in 1981, playing for North Carolina, which beat Utah 61-56 in an NCAA basketball regional. He dressed but didn’t play.
“That was a game we needed to win,” Cecil Exum said.
After a pause, he chuckled, “Did we win?”
The next year he played with the national champion Tar Heels.
Asked about his long-ago trip to Salt Lake, the elder Exum had no details, but said, “I do remember it was my first and only trip to Utah — this is my second. I remember the mountains, seeing the lake and coming in and playing basketball, and then the hotels, and then back on the plane again.”
So that makes ONE person who doesn’t remember Karl Bankowski going 1 for 9 for the Utes.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24