Rock On: Dante Exum's dad remembers Utah ... vaguely
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Jazz draftee Dante Exum’s first trip to Utah was on Friday to meet the press. But his dad was here once, long ago.
Cecil Exum was at the Huntsman Center in 1981, playing for North Carolina, which beat Utah 61-56 in an NCAA basketball regional. He dressed but didn’t play.
“That was a game we needed to win,” Cecil Exum said.
After a pause, he chuckled, “Did we win?”
The next year he played with the national champion Tar Heels.
Asked about his long-ago trip to Salt Lake, the elder Exum had no details, but said, “I do remember it was my first and only trip to Utah — this is my second. I remember the mountains, seeing the lake and coming in and playing basketball, and then the hotels, and then back on the plane again.”
So that makes ONE person who doesn’t remember Karl Bankowski going 1 for 9 for the Utes.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25