Utah's Tony Finau falters down the stretch to finish 4th at Web.com Tour event
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
NEWBURGH, Ind. — Salt Lake native Tony Finau had a great chance to win his first Web.com Tour event and virtually assure his spot on the PGA Tour next year, but he faltered down the stretch and finished in a tie for fourth at the United Leasing Championship in Newburgh, Indiana.
The 24-year-old former Utah State Amateur champion had the lead with four holes left, but bogeyed 15 to fall back into a tie for the lead, then bogeyed two of the final three holes to finish with a 74 for a 281 total.
Finau had taken the lead after two rounds with a course-record 64 and was second going into Sunday’s final round. He grabbed the lead after going out in 35 thanks to an eagle-3 at No. 3 and a birdie at No. 9 to go with a pair of bogeys.
After making bogey at No. 10, he birdied No. 13 to go to 10-under par and into the lead before his shaky finish.
The winner was England’s Greg Owen, who shot a final-round 67 to finish at 279 and earn the $108,000 first prize. Third-round leader Mark Hubbard bogeyed three of the final six holes and finished with a 75 in a tie for second with Fabian Gomez.
The fourth-place tie matched Finau’s best finish on the Web.com Tour this year and earned him $23,625. He moved up from 37th place to 24th on the Web.com money list with $96,007. If Finau can stay in the top 25, he will earn his PGA card for next year.
Next week, Finau will be in his home state for the Utah Championship at Willow Creek Country Club July 10-13.
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 125
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 48
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 22
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14