Utah's Tony Finau falters down the stretch to finish 4th at Web.com Tour event
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
NEWBURGH, Ind. — Salt Lake native Tony Finau had a great chance to win his first Web.com Tour event and virtually assure his spot on the PGA Tour next year, but he faltered down the stretch and finished in a tie for fourth at the United Leasing Championship in Newburgh, Indiana.
The 24-year-old former Utah State Amateur champion had the lead with four holes left, but bogeyed 15 to fall back into a tie for the lead, then bogeyed two of the final three holes to finish with a 74 for a 281 total.
Finau had taken the lead after two rounds with a course-record 64 and was second going into Sunday’s final round. He grabbed the lead after going out in 35 thanks to an eagle-3 at No. 3 and a birdie at No. 9 to go with a pair of bogeys.
After making bogey at No. 10, he birdied No. 13 to go to 10-under par and into the lead before his shaky finish.
The winner was England’s Greg Owen, who shot a final-round 67 to finish at 279 and earn the $108,000 first prize. Third-round leader Mark Hubbard bogeyed three of the final six holes and finished with a 75 in a tie for second with Fabian Gomez.
The fourth-place tie matched Finau’s best finish on the Web.com Tour this year and earned him $23,625. He moved up from 37th place to 24th on the Web.com money list with $96,007. If Finau can stay in the top 25, he will earn his PGA card for next year.
Next week, Finau will be in his home state for the Utah Championship at Willow Creek Country Club July 10-13.
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 65
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 48
- Annual instate college basketball... 37