Utah golfer Tony Finau shot an even-par 72 Saturday to fall back to second place at the United Leasing Championship in Newburgh, Indiana.
The 24-year-old who lives in Lehi had shot a course-record 64 and made a hole in one the day before to take the lead, but was passed by Mark Hubbard, who shot a 68 and leads Finau by two shots at 11-under-par 205.
Finau made two birdies on the front nine to make the turn at 34, but he ran into trouble on the back nine with bogeys at 11 and 15 and a double bogey at 16 when he hit it in the water at the par-3 hole.
“I didn’t make that bad a swing but the wind pushed it a little bit and that was it,” Finau said. “Those were a couple of key errors.”
He came back with a key birdie at the par-4 17th when he cut the corner and sank a 15-foot putt and then made a 7-foot downhill putt for par at the 18th hole
“Those last two holes really changed the momentum for me,” he said. “The wheels were starting to come off there at the end.”
Finau is playing his first year on the PGA Web.com Tour and ranks 37th on the money list. His best finish was a tie for fourth last month at the Rex Hospital Open in Ohio. With a win Sunday, he would earn $108,000. He will play in the Utah Championship at Willow Creek Country Club in two weeks.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 29
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24