Jazz receive an A for their draft efforts from ESPN Insider Chad Ford
Kathy Willens, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Chad Ford is a fan of what the Utah Jazz did on draft night.
The ESPN NBA Insider gave the Jazz an A grade in his post-NBA draft analysis for Utah's selections of Australian combo guard Dante Exum with the fifth overall pick and Duke small forward Rodney Hood at No. 23.
“They got the guy rated third on their board, Exum, at No. 5, when both the Sixers and Magic passed on him,” Ford wrote. “Then they got the guy rated 15th on their board, Hood, at No. 23, when he suddenly slid. In the process they shored up two big needs.”
The Jazz also traded away their second-round pick, Tennessee power forward Jarnell Stokes, to Memphis for a second-round pick in 2016.
In addition to Utah receiving highest grade possible, Ford also handed out A's to four other teams: the Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Bucks and San Antonio Spurs. That group includes the draft's top two picks — Andrew Wiggins (to the Cavaliers) and Jabari Parker (Bucks).
Ford said he believes that the 6-foot-6 Exum could be a cornerstone for the franchise.
“I know Jazz fans will feel like this draft wasn't a home run without Jabari Parker,” Ford said. “But it was at least a triple, and given where they were drafting, that's an A in my book.”
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 107
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 60
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 21
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes... 12
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12