Jazz receive an A for their draft efforts from ESPN Insider Chad Ford
Kathy Willens, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Chad Ford is a fan of what the Utah Jazz did on draft night.
The ESPN NBA Insider gave the Jazz an A grade in his post-NBA draft analysis for Utah's selections of Australian combo guard Dante Exum with the fifth overall pick and Duke small forward Rodney Hood at No. 23.
“They got the guy rated third on their board, Exum, at No. 5, when both the Sixers and Magic passed on him,” Ford wrote. “Then they got the guy rated 15th on their board, Hood, at No. 23, when he suddenly slid. In the process they shored up two big needs.”
The Jazz also traded away their second-round pick, Tennessee power forward Jarnell Stokes, to Memphis for a second-round pick in 2016.
In addition to Utah receiving highest grade possible, Ford also handed out A's to four other teams: the Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Bucks and San Antonio Spurs. That group includes the draft's top two picks — Andrew Wiggins (to the Cavaliers) and Jabari Parker (Bucks).
Ford said he believes that the 6-foot-6 Exum could be a cornerstone for the franchise.
“I know Jazz fans will feel like this draft wasn't a home run without Jabari Parker,” Ford said. “But it was at least a triple, and given where they were drafting, that's an A in my book.”
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 82
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25