Jazz receive an A for their draft efforts from ESPN Insider Chad Ford
Kathy Willens, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Chad Ford is a fan of what the Utah Jazz did on draft night.
The ESPN NBA Insider gave the Jazz an A grade in his post-NBA draft analysis for Utah's selections of Australian combo guard Dante Exum with the fifth overall pick and Duke small forward Rodney Hood at No. 23.
“They got the guy rated third on their board, Exum, at No. 5, when both the Sixers and Magic passed on him,” Ford wrote. “Then they got the guy rated 15th on their board, Hood, at No. 23, when he suddenly slid. In the process they shored up two big needs.”
The Jazz also traded away their second-round pick, Tennessee power forward Jarnell Stokes, to Memphis for a second-round pick in 2016.
In addition to Utah receiving highest grade possible, Ford also handed out A's to four other teams: the Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Bucks and San Antonio Spurs. That group includes the draft's top two picks — Andrew Wiggins (to the Cavaliers) and Jabari Parker (Bucks).
Ford said he believes that the 6-foot-6 Exum could be a cornerstone for the franchise.
“I know Jazz fans will feel like this draft wasn't a home run without Jabari Parker,” Ford said. “But it was at least a triple, and given where they were drafting, that's an A in my book.”
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 9
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7