NBA Draft: Pleasant Grove's C.J. Wilcox selected 28th overall by L.A. Clippers (+audio)
Associated Press photo
C.J. Wilcox became the second Utah County product in three years to be selected in the NBA Draft, as he was taken by the L.A. Clippers with the 28th overall pick in the first round on Thursday.
Wilcox, who prepped at Pleasant Grove High, follows Justin Hamilton, the Lone Peak High center who was drafted by the Miami Heat in the middle of the second round in 2012.
“I thought as far (as) shooting in this league you need it and you can never have enough of it,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers said in a press release announcing the selection. “I’m a big believer of that. I thought he was the best shooter in the draft. If not number one, then number two.”
Wilcox averaged 18.3 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game last year while earning second team all-Pac 12 honors at Washington. The 6-foot-5, 195-pound shooting guard also shot 40.1 percent from 3-point range during his college career.
Wilcox, who is 23, ended his Washington career as the school's second-leading scorer and first in 3-pointers made (301).
The former Viking said his workout with the Clippers, one of the team's first pre-draft workouts, did not go so well.
“I walked out of there not too confident with how it went," Wilcox said, according to the press release, "but I talked to my agent afterwards and he said they had been watching me for a while and they still liked what I brought to the table.”
Wilcox watched the draft with family, which has moved to San Diego, and some friends.
“We got the call a couple of minutes before and started celebrating before my name was even called,” Wilcox said in the release. “It was a really surreal moment, but everybody’s excited and ready to get started.”
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Stewart has brought back an identity —...
- Penn State defeats Stanford, will meet BYU...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 59
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 44
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31