Utah man with cerebral palsy and father gain national attention for photo of climbing to Delicate Arch
“They make us feel like he’s one of us, and there’s a lot of equality,” Zambreno said. “Our priest likes coming over here because he likes spending time with Jonah.”
Jonah’s life comes with many medical struggles, but they haven’t stopped him from graduating from high school, working at the community library and mastering his iPad.
He also pays special attention to detail.
“Jonah loves the little things,” Zambreno said. “He’ll see a flower bouncing in the wind or a waterfall and he points and giggles.”
The Geier family loves doing everything outside during the summer months, including camping in the desert, hiking red rocks and visiting national parks.
And although snow is an integral part of Utah winters, the Geiers don’t let it stop them from spending time outdoors.
Instead, they take time to cross-country ski and soak in natural hot springs.
When each of their kids were young, they’d put them in a ski sled, which is a harness system that connected to their parents’ waists.
“When Jonah got old enough, he’d ski around with us,” Zambreno said. “We don’t even have to ski, we’ll also hike on snowmobile trails.”
Zabreno said the hot springs are their favorite winter activity because the water is good for Jonah’s muscle spasms.
“The outdoors is therapeutic,” Zambreno said. “I think the whole aspect of reviving yourself in the outdoors is spiritual.”
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Summer movie preview: A look at 21 films and...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Here's my favorite 'Age of Ultron' plot twist
- The most important sacrifice you can make for...
- 5-year-old boy uses unique superpower to save...
- 5-year-old rings bell, celebrates end of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 52
- What not to say to a woman struggling... 19
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- From the makeup aisle: Advice from a... 5
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 3
- The case for renewing the War on Poverty 2
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases... 1
- What does a Dutch cereal farm have to... 1