Utah man with cerebral palsy and father gain national attention for photo of climbing to Delicate Arch
“They make us feel like he’s one of us, and there’s a lot of equality,” Zambreno said. “Our priest likes coming over here because he likes spending time with Jonah.”
Jonah’s life comes with many medical struggles, but they haven’t stopped him from graduating from high school, working at the community library and mastering his iPad.
He also pays special attention to detail.
“Jonah loves the little things,” Zambreno said. “He’ll see a flower bouncing in the wind or a waterfall and he points and giggles.”
The Geier family loves doing everything outside during the summer months, including camping in the desert, hiking red rocks and visiting national parks.
And although snow is an integral part of Utah winters, the Geiers don’t let it stop them from spending time outdoors.
Instead, they take time to cross-country ski and soak in natural hot springs.
When each of their kids were young, they’d put them in a ski sled, which is a harness system that connected to their parents’ waists.
“When Jonah got old enough, he’d ski around with us,” Zambreno said. “We don’t even have to ski, we’ll also hike on snowmobile trails.”
Zabreno said the hot springs are their favorite winter activity because the water is good for Jonah’s muscle spasms.
“The outdoors is therapeutic,” Zambreno said. “I think the whole aspect of reviving yourself in the outdoors is spiritual.”
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Motherhood Matters: Love loans
- UTubers: Coldplay cover by One Voice...
- The Clean Cut: LDS 3-year-old sings her dad a...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what it's...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- BYU Museum of Art honors National Park...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 16
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what... 3
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- Wright Words: What I learned from... 2
- Bountiful Handcart Days Parade brings... 1