Brock Hardy wins 2 national titles in Utah to complete youth wrestling's triple crown
OREM — Brigham City's Brock Hardy became a rare Triple Crown winner in youth wrestling by winning the ASICS USA Wrestling Kids Nationals in Greco-Roman and freestyle.
Hardy competed in the schoolboy division (ages 13-14), nailing down his titles at 136 pounds.
Though the tournament featured the best wrestlers across the country, Hardy dominated the competition. Hardy won his four bouts in Greco-Roman by technical fall (beating his opponents by 10 or more points).
In freestyle, Hardy had three matches, two of which he won by by technical fall before pinning Washington's Nate Moore in just 1:33 in the championship final.
In the spring, Hardy won the folkstyle nationals held in Iowa, considered the first leg of youth wrestling's Triple Crown.
The three-day event held at Utah Valley's UCCU Events Center in Orem attracted approximately 1,200 entrants from 39 different states. Utah has hosted the Kids Nationals for the past eight years.
"It was a great tournament," said tournament director Cole Kelley. "It's been a wonderful opportunity for Utah to again host this tournament and to be able to expose our best wrestlers to top-flight competition. It's been awesome to be the epic center of youth wrestling for the past three days."
Brian Preece is a freelance sports writer who specializes in prep sports.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24