Deseret News writer Mike Sorensen's mock 2014 NBA draft: Jazz will select Dante Exum with 5th pick
1. Cleveland: Andrew Wiggins, SF, Kansas — Not willing to take a chance on Joel Embiid, the player they had their hearts set on, the Cavs go with the guy with the most superstar potential.
2. Milwaukee: Jabari Parker, SF, Duke — All along, the Bucks have wanted Parker — and Parker believes he’s going to Milwaukee, just two hours from his hometown — so it should be a good fit.
3. Philadelphia: Noah Vonleh, PF, Indiana — Before Embiid’s injury, the Sixers figured they’d get Wiggins. Instead they’ll settle for Vonleh, an athletic big man who can shoot outside.
4. Orlando: Joel Embiid, C, Kansas — Until a week ago, the Magic thought they’d have no shot at Embiid. But with another pick at 12, they can afford to take a chance on the injured center.
5. Utah: Dante Exum, PG, Australia — The Jazz have seen less of Exum than any player in the draft, but they’re happy to take him and hope he turns out to be another Kobe Bryant or Dwyane Wade.
6. Boston: Aaron Gordon PF, Arizona — The Celtics would love Embiid to fall to them, but it’s unlikely to happen. Gordon should be a solid NBA player who could be very good if he can learn to shoot.
7. Los Angeles: Julius Randle, PF Kentucky — The Lakers liked Randle in his workout and he seems to have the confident personality that will fit in L.A.
8. Sacramento: Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State — The Kings don’t need another power forward with enigmatic DeMarcus Cousins as their linchpin. Instead they can add an enigmatic point guard to the mix.
9. Charlotte: Nik Stauskas, SG, Michigan — The Hornets need shooting and Stauskas, a 44-percent 3-point shooter, fits the bill. They could also go with Doug McDermott, but he might remind them too much of Adam Morrison, who was a bust in Charlotte.
10. Philadelphia: Doug McDermott, SF, Creighton — With a top guard in Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams, who’s not a shooter, the Sixers get a great shooter here.
11 Denver: Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State — The Nuggets also want a shooter and take the next-best one out there in Harris.
12. Orlando: Elfrid Payton PG, Louisiana Lafayette — The Magic could have taken Exum or Smart with their No. 4 pick, but are happy to take Payton, who has shot up draft boards in the last month and is being compared to Damian Lillard.
13. Minnesota: Jusuf Nurkic C, Bosnia — The T-Wolves have never been afraid to take international players and this huge player may have a huge upside.
14. Phoenix: Rodney Hood, SG Duke — The Suns need a wing player and get a player with size who can score.
15. Atlanta: James Young, SG, Kentucky — At 6-8, he can play both the two and three positions and his 7-foot wingspan should be an asset defensively.
16. Chicago: Adreian Payne, PF, Michigan State — The 6-10, 240-pounder provides bulk inside, but can also shoot outside.
17. Boston: Dario Saric, PF, Croatia — An all-around player who can score, rebound and pass, he won’t be available for a couple of years because of his European contract, but should be worth the wait.
18. Phoenix: Clint Capela, PF, Switzerland — With their second first-round pick, the Suns can take a chance on this raw 20-year-old who played professionally in Europe for two years.
19. Chicago: Zach LaVine, PG, UCLA — He didn’t even start for the Bruins, but is a great athlete who can play either guard position.
20. Toronto: Shabazz Napier, PG, Connecticut — The Raptors are looking for a point guard and have a choice between Napier and Tyler Ennis.
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 97
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48