Tips for living: 'Reality Parenting' encourages, prepares parents
Provided by Cedar Fort
Parenting is no easy task, and real life is not like TV families. Author and parent Treion Muller shares a realistic view of parenting in his latest book "Reality Parenting: As Not Seen on TV" (Cedar Fort, $12.99).
A father of five children and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Muller has compiled "realities" that parents will likely face.
• Be prepared to not be perfect. Muller explains that there are no perfect parents, and that is OK. He suggests finding the "functional" part in the dysfunctional that every family has and do what works to run the family.
• Be ready for gross. Starting with childbirth, parenting has some pretty gross moments. Diapers, potty training, puberty, injuries and illness all come with the territory, Muller writes.
• Stock the pantry and plan for friends. "We think it is better having our children's friends hanging out at our house, where we know what they are up to, which is why we try to stock up on foods they like," Muller writes. And, be ready for big teenage appetites!
• Learn to speak text. A factor in communicating with and monitoring children is speaking their language. Muller includes various texting acronyms that parents ought to learn. LOL, BTW, IMHO and TMI are just a few to be aware of for effective parent-to-teen communication.
• Get ready for "talks." Topics like sex, pornography, cellphone use and puberty are all conversations that Muller says parents ought to have with their children. He also includes tips on how to go about this. Parents are responsible to educate and protect their children from danger.
Parenting is not as simple as sitcoms portray. Muller's "Reality Parenting" can help parents handle their realities with simple tips and checklists.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 71
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 60
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 42
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 27
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 12