LDS Church issues statement regarding overturned Utah marriage amendment
Following the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals' ruling Wednesday that Utah cannot deny citizens a marriage license or refuse to recognize their marriage based on gender, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement.
"The Church has been consistent in its support of marriage between a man and a woman and teaches that all people should be treated with respect. In anticipation that the case will be brought before the U.S. Supreme Court, it is our hope that the nation’s highest court will uphold traditional marriage," according to mormonnewsroom.org.
The LDS Church is among five religious organizations that filed an amicus brief in February outlining why each believes "marriage between a man and a woman is sanctioned by God as the right and best setting for bearing and raising children."
The state of Utah plans to appeal Wednesday's ruling, which is available as a PDF. Read more about the ruling here: "Utah cannot deny right to marry based on gender, appeals court rules"
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with free...
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 3
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 3
- Watch: September 2014 General Women's... 2