"PITT CUE CO.: The Cookbook," by Tom Adams, Jamie Berger, Simon Anderson and Richard H. Turner, Mitchell Beazley, $34.99, 301 pages
The first clue that the "Pitt Cue Co.: The Cookbook" is not your average cookbook is the cover — bright orange with a simple drawing of a pig.
The second is the hearty endorsement on the back cover laced with profanity (albeit only partially spelled swear words). Cover your eyes and prepare your taste buds as you dive into this one.
These more than 120 eclectic recipes include Fennel-cured Scratchings, Buffalo Pigs' Tails, Crumbled Hog Jowls and Habanero Pigs' Ears.
Then on to pickled seafood of all varieties, including mackerel, shrimp and oysters. How about Burnt Tomatoes and Shallots on Toast?
There is a section on essential rubs that sounds mouth-watering. And for sauces, a really nice one for a barbecued suckling pig.
Maybe the Belly Chops on page 146 will appeal or the Pulled Duck and Caviar Buns. (Take note that it's important to milk the fish eggs rather than gut the fish for them.)
This is a fascinating cookbook for the moderately skilled cook, with advice about raising happy pigs to get better-tasting pork and a number of recipes that came from making a mistake at the popular barbecue restaurant in Soho, London.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed with mass...
- Brie Larson confirmed as 'Captain Marvel'
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 19
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their... 14
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s... 2
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza... 1