Dick Harmon: Robert Anae reveals vision for BYU offense in 2014: Go fast, go hard ... and go far
Predicted the offensive coordinator: “If you are a returning missionary, it will be almost impossible to go through what is expected in practice when fall camp begins.”
He actually belittled BYU’s offensive unpreparedness in the 2013 opener at Virginia. “I’m not going to blame the weather. We were not prepared to win that game. We had too many playing hesitant, guessing and not playing at full speed.”
Anae said he’d like BYU to be known as an offensive line factory for NFL players. When scouts see film, he hopes they'll watch athletes who are well-conditioned, sound in technique, and prepared to go to the next level and compete for a job.
When that happens, BYU will return to the business of putting QBs in the NFL. If BYU can’t play up front on offense, he predicts no quarterback will ever fully develop his skills.
Anae is ecstatic about the new skill players, especially in the receiving ranks. He said conditioning will be their biggest challenge, something transfer Nick Kurtz found out last spring. Once acclimated, Anae said Kurtz became a playmaker.
“On offense, wide receiver is the easiest position to learn, easier than the tight end, the quarterback and running back positions.”
In other words, he expects newcomers to barf their way into playing time. Once there, they’ll pick it up in quick order.
Ah, the words of summer.
They have a way of filling a vacuum.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 85
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 69
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 60
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 24