BYU addresses investigation, independence, scheduling issues on media day
“The reality of it is that we’re continuing to schedule and talk with teams from those conferences,” he said. “They’re calling us.”
Earlier this month, Mendenhall drew national attention when he lobbied for BYU’s inclusion into the Big 12.
"We would love to be in the Big 12," Mendenhall told the Austin American-Statesman newspaper. "I would love to be a member of that conference. I think that would make a lot of sense."
When asked about that Monday, Mendenhall stood by his comments.
“I wouldn’t take back any of it,” he said. “If someone doesn’t speak up on our behalf on the national landscape of what could happen, we don’t have a (conference) commissioner. ... I am the coach, but I think it would be a fantastic league to be in. I like the values of the states (in the league), the conservative nature. I like the type of football, and I think it’s regional enough. And that doesn’t mean I’m not happy with independence. I like what it’s doing for us. We are making huge progress. It allows me to make comments like that. But eventually, I think we’ll have to be in one of those leagues if this thing keeps shifting the way it is. But it won’t be my decision.”
Mendenhall said he didn’t consult with Holmoe before making his comments to the Texas newspaper.
“I’m sure I’ve made people uncomfortable or mad or somewhere in between,” he said. “I want the very best for our program, for our players. I want to play football at the very elite level every single week in college football.“
What was Holmoe’s reaction to Mendenhall’s comments?
“He’s a coach, and I was a coach, and sometimes the emotions of a coach run a little bit high,” he said.
Holmoe was quick to add that when it comes to the future of BYU football, “We’re on the same team.”
Though he would like to see BYU be a part of the Big 12, “I like independence as a great place to launch from," Mendenhall said. "It’s moving us closer to inclusion.”
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 50
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 46
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12