BYU addresses investigation, independence, scheduling issues on media day
“The reality of it is that we’re continuing to schedule and talk with teams from those conferences,” he said. “They’re calling us.”
Earlier this month, Mendenhall drew national attention when he lobbied for BYU’s inclusion into the Big 12.
"We would love to be in the Big 12," Mendenhall told the Austin American-Statesman newspaper. "I would love to be a member of that conference. I think that would make a lot of sense."
When asked about that Monday, Mendenhall stood by his comments.
“I wouldn’t take back any of it,” he said. “If someone doesn’t speak up on our behalf on the national landscape of what could happen, we don’t have a (conference) commissioner. ... I am the coach, but I think it would be a fantastic league to be in. I like the values of the states (in the league), the conservative nature. I like the type of football, and I think it’s regional enough. And that doesn’t mean I’m not happy with independence. I like what it’s doing for us. We are making huge progress. It allows me to make comments like that. But eventually, I think we’ll have to be in one of those leagues if this thing keeps shifting the way it is. But it won’t be my decision.”
Mendenhall said he didn’t consult with Holmoe before making his comments to the Texas newspaper.
“I’m sure I’ve made people uncomfortable or mad or somewhere in between,” he said. “I want the very best for our program, for our players. I want to play football at the very elite level every single week in college football.“
What was Holmoe’s reaction to Mendenhall’s comments?
“He’s a coach, and I was a coach, and sometimes the emotions of a coach run a little bit high,” he said.
Holmoe was quick to add that when it comes to the future of BYU football, “We’re on the same team.”
Though he would like to see BYU be a part of the Big 12, “I like independence as a great place to launch from," Mendenhall said. "It’s moving us closer to inclusion.”
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28