BYU Media Day: The Cougars are happy with independence, but are ready to join a Power 5 conference
Right now, BYU has seven road games to just five at home in 2015. It sounds like that could change at some point.
"We're working on a change to that season. We'll see if it comes or not," Holmoe said with a smile.
Pac-12 November games
One common complaint about BYU's independence is its lack of marque games late in the season, and Holmoe addressed that as well.
"We've got some good arrangements with the Pac-12 where we've partnered on some November games," Holmoe said. "They have some unique situations where they have some longstanding traditions with Notre Dame and Stanford and USC, so we figured out a way to help them out and help us out in November."
Partnership with the American Athletic Conference
BYU has had a good relationship with the American Athletic Conference, particularly as it relates to the new Miami Beach Bowl. BYU will play an opponent from the American if it is bowl eligible.
"I like the affiliation with the American Athletic Conference," Holmoe said. "They have some good teams. We're playing a bunch of their teams in the near future. They're good, solid football teams."
On joining a "Group of 5" conference
BYUtv's Dave McCann asked Holmoe about whether or not BYU would consider a conference outside of the Power 5. "Right now I feel that we're in the best position we can be in," Holmoe said. "The most important thing for us is to play great football and improve the BYU Cougar brand. If we do that and continue to do the things our program is based on, we're going to be in the right position at the right time."
Sorry, Mountain West. It doesn't sound like BYU is considering going back anytime soon.
Those are the main points from the state of the program. Stay tuned for more updates all day right here.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 26
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 24
- Utes get it done at home again 21