BYU Media Day: The Cougars are happy with independence, but are ready to join a Power 5 conference
Right now, BYU has seven road games to just five at home in 2015. It sounds like that could change at some point.
"We're working on a change to that season. We'll see if it comes or not," Holmoe said with a smile.
Pac-12 November games
One common complaint about BYU's independence is its lack of marque games late in the season, and Holmoe addressed that as well.
"We've got some good arrangements with the Pac-12 where we've partnered on some November games," Holmoe said. "They have some unique situations where they have some longstanding traditions with Notre Dame and Stanford and USC, so we figured out a way to help them out and help us out in November."
Partnership with the American Athletic Conference
BYU has had a good relationship with the American Athletic Conference, particularly as it relates to the new Miami Beach Bowl. BYU will play an opponent from the American if it is bowl eligible.
"I like the affiliation with the American Athletic Conference," Holmoe said. "They have some good teams. We're playing a bunch of their teams in the near future. They're good, solid football teams."
On joining a "Group of 5" conference
BYUtv's Dave McCann asked Holmoe about whether or not BYU would consider a conference outside of the Power 5. "Right now I feel that we're in the best position we can be in," Holmoe said. "The most important thing for us is to play great football and improve the BYU Cougar brand. If we do that and continue to do the things our program is based on, we're going to be in the right position at the right time."
Sorry, Mountain West. It doesn't sound like BYU is considering going back anytime soon.
Those are the main points from the state of the program. Stay tuned for more updates all day right here.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19