Decision pending for activist in conflict with LDS Church
The Ordain Women website this past week encouraged supporters to write letters in support of Kelly, listing dozens of entries, and provided instructions for silent vigils to be held Sunday at the prescribed time of the disciplinary hearing in Oakton, Virginia.
Those gathered at the vigil took turns stating their name and why they refused to remain silent.
A pile of handkerchiefs, pictures of supporters and their families and a binder full of letters on Kelly's behalf were place outside the South doors of the Church Office Building during the vigil. The items were collected by the group; the letters will be delivered to the church during regular business hours and the handkerchiefs will be made into a quilt.
About a third of those who originally gathered met again at the park, where members of the leadership in Ordain Women read the names of women in LDS Church and biblical history along with a summary of their accomplishments. After each name the crowd repeated "May your memory move us forward."
Kelly was joined by John Dehlin at the vigil Sunday. Dehlin, of Logan, runs a website called Mormon Stories and has written that he has "serious doubts about, or no longer believe many of the fundamental LDS church truth claims" He said he was at the rally to support Kelly.
"I think there is dialogue now. I think it will continue. I think sometimes some people have to get out in front to create space behind for others to have dialogue. It may be the church isn't comfortable dialoguing with Kate, but I think Kate has created space for them to dialogue with other, more moderate voices," Dehlin said.
Others see Kelly's actions in a different light:
"I think there are a lot of possibilities for women in the Church that can be explored. But I don’t believe OW’s approach is faithful to scriptures or prophetic counsel," wrote Katherine Morris, an LDS member who writes the "Sacred Quotidian" blog. "And, more tellingly, I don’t think their approach is even consistent with their proposed aims (i.e. they’re undermining the authority they’re asking to be a part of)," she said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins Colorado...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- LDS Church releases statement after vandals...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 254
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 105
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 38
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- Is there too much faith in college... 11
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 8
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins... 8