As good as it is, it still lacks games against any local schools except BYU. I still don’t understand why the Utes can’t play Weber State or Southern Utah, who play in the same league as North Dakota, or Utah Valley, which plays in the same league as Texas-Pan American, or Westminster College, which plays in the same league as Carroll College.
North Dakota, Texas Pan-American and Carroll College are all on the Utes’ schedule.
AMAZING FINISH: Kevin Streelman did something Sunday that no golfer in PGA Tour history has done. He birdied the final seven holes to win the Travelers Championship in Connecticut by one shot.
Local golf fans probably won’t remember, but Streelman was one of the 11 golfers Utah’s Tony Finau competed against in 2007 for the $2 million prize at the Ultimate Challenge in Las Vegas.
That tournament, which was for golfers with no status on any of golf’s major tours, had quite a field that turned out Erik Compton, last week’s runner-up at the U.S. Open, and Scott Piercy, the winner of the $2 million prize, who has since gone on to win more than $6 million on the PGA Tour, including two victories.
KUDOS FOR WIE: Finally, kudos to Michelle Wie for winning her first major Sunday afternoon at the U.S. Women's Open at Pinehurst, North Carolina. You’d have thought Wie would have won several majors by now after the way she burst on the scene a decade ago, playing in men’s tournaments as a teenager and dominating women’s amateur golf.
Wie famously made it to the quarterfinals of the U.S. Amateur Public Links in 2005, only to lose to Utah’s Clay Ogden, who went on to win and earn a spot in the Masters.
However, it took Wie until the age of 24 to capture her first major as she won Sunday by two strokes over Stacy Lewis.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 56
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37