As good as it is, it still lacks games against any local schools except BYU. I still don’t understand why the Utes can’t play Weber State or Southern Utah, who play in the same league as North Dakota, or Utah Valley, which plays in the same league as Texas-Pan American, or Westminster College, which plays in the same league as Carroll College.
North Dakota, Texas Pan-American and Carroll College are all on the Utes’ schedule.
AMAZING FINISH: Kevin Streelman did something Sunday that no golfer in PGA Tour history has done. He birdied the final seven holes to win the Travelers Championship in Connecticut by one shot.
Local golf fans probably won’t remember, but Streelman was one of the 11 golfers Utah’s Tony Finau competed against in 2007 for the $2 million prize at the Ultimate Challenge in Las Vegas.
That tournament, which was for golfers with no status on any of golf’s major tours, had quite a field that turned out Erik Compton, last week’s runner-up at the U.S. Open, and Scott Piercy, the winner of the $2 million prize, who has since gone on to win more than $6 million on the PGA Tour, including two victories.
KUDOS FOR WIE: Finally, kudos to Michelle Wie for winning her first major Sunday afternoon at the U.S. Women's Open at Pinehurst, North Carolina. You’d have thought Wie would have won several majors by now after the way she burst on the scene a decade ago, playing in men’s tournaments as a teenager and dominating women’s amateur golf.
Wie famously made it to the quarterfinals of the U.S. Amateur Public Links in 2005, only to lose to Utah’s Clay Ogden, who went on to win and earn a spot in the Masters.
However, it took Wie until the age of 24 to capture her first major as she won Sunday by two strokes over Stacy Lewis.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 39
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 19
- Utah basketball: No. 14 Runnin' Utes... 18