EAGLE MOUNTAIN — A man was killed when his glider-style aircraft crashed near Cedar Valley Airport Sunday afternoon.
Jeff Knell, 60, of Salt Lake City, was flying the aircraft when three witnesses saw it struggle and hit the ground, killing Knell before police could reach him, Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cole Christensen said.
Glenn Black was driving on Pony Express Parkway when the plane crashed at 2:20 p.m. Black said he cut through a nearby field in his car straight to the glider where he found the aircraft in pieces.
"He dipped and went straight into the ground. I saw the tail go up and then dust everywhere," Black said. "I could see the pilot had been ejected from the plane. He wasn't in good shape. He wasn't moving."
The aircraft was not a typical plane but rather a "glider-type airplane," Christensen said. Friends of the pilot told Black it was an experimental aircraft they had built, which had problems that they fixed a year ago.
"It wasn’t an airplane, but it wasn’t a hang glider It looks like an airplane just without the motor on it," Christensen said.
According to Black, the wind caught the right wing of the glider causing the crash.
"It was really low on the horizon, and it had missed its last turn to make a good approach," Black said.
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Tino, the king of Hogle Zoo's jungle, is...
- 2 killed in auto accident on I-80 in Summit...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 40
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 24
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 21
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17