In 2012 — the same year she entered 26 obstacle races, wound up ranked No. 5 in the world, and saw Dirtinyourskirt.com win “best sports blog” at the 2012 Bloggies — Margaret published her book, “Obstacle Race Training — How to Beat Any Course, Compete Like a Champion, and Change Your Life.”
The sport had its first female star.
Margaret moved to Utah 18 months ago, but not for our mountains or our mud. Her boyfriend, Forest Call, is Hobie Call’s brother. Hobie is the Salt Lake resident who grew up in Star Valley, Wyoming, and became one of obstacle racing’s first male stars.
Forest was helping crew for his brother at a race in Vermont when he met Margaret. They conducted a long-distance relationship for a while, but it soon became apparent it was time for one of them to move to where the other lived.
That’s how Margaret, an Eastern girl, wound up in Salt Lake City, a Western city.
She’s become a fixture in the obstacle racing community here. She trains and coaches at Ute Crossfit in Holladay and travels most weekends to obstacle races.
This Saturday she won’t have to travel far. She’ll be front and center at Utah’s premier obstacle event, the Spartan Beast Race at Soldier Hollow.
Organizers expect the usual throng to show up, some 5,000 people paying for the privilege of crawling through the mud, negotiating the fire jump and trying to calm down enough to fire rifles at the Olympic biathlon range.
Despite the crowd, Margaret should be easy to spot. Just look for the Dirt in Your Skirt Honda van and the fit woman driving it into the parking lot — who looks, talks and smiles like a pro.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. Email: email@example.com
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 12