Hamson seems uneasy with the attention that she has generated in recent months, but she tolerates it patiently. She is used to standing out in a crowd anyway. She has been at least a head taller than her classmates since she was a little girl and she is still a head taller than most students on the BYU campus, male or female.
“I’ve learned to accept (being tall),” she says. “It doesn’t bother me. There is a woman at BYU who is about my height. I haven’t met her but I can see her across the top of the crowd once in a while around campus. In sixth grade there were a couple of kids almost my height. In high school there were two guys taller than me. That was nice. I never felt like I’m the only one. And I like being tall.”
She has to special order pants online through a website called Makeyourownjeans.com. She provides her measurements and they make the jeans: “They’re not super stylish, but they work,” she says.
She has solved the problem of sleeve length: “I just don’t wear a lot of long sleeve shirts.”
Dating is another challenge for someone whose height is virtually in the 100th percentile. There aren’t a lot of prospects when the criterion is somewhere north of 6-6 and Mormon.
“The dating (pool) is kind of slim,” she says. “I’ve dated guys who are an inch or two shorter than me. Statistically, I’m in a small percentage here. I just let those things happen.”
She has more control in her athletic future and to that end she is powerlifting and honing her volleyball skills while the WNBA and the Sparks await her decision.
“They were supportive,” she says. “They know I won’t be around this season. Right now it’s volleyball.”
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39