Matt Gade, Deseret News Archives
Gov. Gary Herbert’s “Healthy Utah” plan is a proposed solution for using Medicaid dollars to address the health care coverage gap in Utah. It seeks federal government funds, similar to a block grant, to cover the Utahns who fall within a gap in coverage due to the Affordable Care Act.
For background about the issues, see our February 16, 2014, editorial on the subject of Medicaid.
As Arkansas has adopted a similar variation in Medicaid, several legislators from the state, as well as Utahns, have weighed in on the subject or Arkansas’ approach in the pages of the Deseret News, including:
“Utah should heed Arkansas’ buyer’s remorse on Medicaid expansion,” May 6, 2014, by Arkansas Sen. Bryan King.
“The whole story on Arkansas' and Utah's Medicaid expansion alternatives,” May 20, 2014, by Scott Poppen.
“Arkansas alternative to Medicaid expansion succeeding,” May 23, 2014, by Arkansas Sen. David Sanders.
On June 22, 2014, Arkansas Sen. Joe Farrer joins Sen. King to discuss their view of the flaws in Arkansas’ approach, and in which they take issue with Sen. Sanders.
Also, former Arkansas Rep. Dan Greenberg joins with former Utah Rep. Mike Kennedy in an examination of the various proposals.
Also on June 22, Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams and county council members Sam Granato and Aimee Winder Newton explore the implication of the Medicaid gap in Utah.
Also supporting the Healthy Utah plan is Vivian Lee, senior vice president of the University of Utah Health Sciences, CEO of the University of Utah Health Care and dean of the University of Utah School of Medicine.
Sutherland Institute Policy Analyst Derek Monson showcases problems with Medicaid expansion.
- In our opinion: A social media enabled...
- John Hoffmire: Does aid work? Markets, big...
- In our opinion: Tragedy in Aleppo should...
- My view: Waste, fraud in education hammering...
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the bathroom
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics and...
- Letter: Where's the action?
- Letter: BYU in a conference?
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 65
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 44
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 43
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- In our opinion: Not all economic... 20
- Letter: Where's the action? 17