Jacquelyn Martin, Associated Press
Americans don't think college is worth the massive amounts of student debt that it increasingly leads to, according to a new poll by YouGov.
When asked "Is getting a college education worth taking on high levels of student loan debt?" 43 percent of respondents told YouGov "no," while only 24 percent responded "yes." The rest — 33 percent — responded they were "not sure."
YouGov also found that the answer varied little by income and education level. When taking into account race, however, nonwhites were considerably more likely to respond that a college education is worth the debt, with 40 percent of blacks and 31 percent of Hispanics answering "yes." Only 20 percent of whites, on the other hand, said the debt is worth it.
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Navy vet says the effects of this are like...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- 12 kinds of late-night office emails
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Restaurants experimenting with pay-in-advance...
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 14
- 12 women who should be on dollar bills 13
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 8
- Food stamp use shows continued... 7
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- Why you should still pack a school... 7
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4