Jacquelyn Martin, Associated Press
Americans don't think college is worth the massive amounts of student debt that it increasingly leads to, according to a new poll by YouGov.
When asked "Is getting a college education worth taking on high levels of student loan debt?" 43 percent of respondents told YouGov "no," while only 24 percent responded "yes." The rest — 33 percent — responded they were "not sure."
YouGov also found that the answer varied little by income and education level. When taking into account race, however, nonwhites were considerably more likely to respond that a college education is worth the debt, with 40 percent of blacks and 31 percent of Hispanics answering "yes." Only 20 percent of whites, on the other hand, said the debt is worth it.
- Student loan recipients on 'strike'... 86
- Does it really matter if you grew up... 8
- Obama calls for payday loan regulations... 5
- Michelle Singletary: Short-term loans... 4
- Renovation Solutions: How to survive a... 2
- Dave Ramsey says: Paying kids for good... 2
- Political polarization is a driving... 1