Sports BLT: Utah State's D.J. Ransom claims Top Fan title
"I think it's a very positive impact. Players see us fans show up early and often. It gives them a boost and emotional support. It gives them something to play for. A lot of times, especially in the Spectrum, that energy helps them play better. That, in turn, gives us fans something to cheer about. It's kind of a win-win situation."
So, what does Ransom think is the best thing about being a Utah State fan?
"I've said that it's a lot of fun, and it is. It gives me something to look forward to every week, especially during the school year," he told me. "It gets me out of my apartment for a change, and I can go and be with my friends. It's the excitement of watching the Aggies play and, often, win."
As the winner of the Sports BLT Top Fan Contest, Ransom will receive a $200 gift card to Fanzz. He can't wait to add to his already extensive collection of Aggie blue.
"I don't think I have enough. I have quite a few shirts. I was about to go to Macey's or Locker 42 to get more shirts. ... I can't have enough. My family and friends make fun of me for it, but I love Aggie blue. It's my new favorite color."
Speaking of his family, not everyone in his family is as fanatical as Ransom is.
"My parents went here a few years back. What drew me here is I have a lot of family who are Aggie fans. But my little brothers aren't as much. They think I'm absolutely nuts. All the time and energy I put into being a fan, they just can't understand it. I take them to games, they think it's fun, but they don't understand why I go to every game."
Ransom also had some words of wisdom for those who want to become elite fans:
"Just stay loud, stay rowdy, have fun at the games. Let yourself be seen, and come have a good time."
Ransom also wanted to make sure to give a shout-out to Chris Campbell, the man who helped him make his winning video entry. "He's my roommate and one of my best friends. The man is an artistic genius when it comes to video and video editing. I have a lot to thank him for in this video. I could not have done it without him."
Congratulations once again to Ransom. He has earned his place as the state of Utah's Top Fan.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33