Former Utes football player is back on U.S. rugby national team
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Thretton Palamo has returned to rugby and will get his first taste of international rugby on Saturday in the Pacific Nations Cup since ending his football career.
The former Utes running back, defensive end and special teams player and son of Samoan international star Arona Palamo told USARugby.org's Chad Wise that he is happy to be back playing the game he grew up watching — the game that's "fun for me."
“I realized toward the end of my football career I kept comparing everything to rugby, how this would be cooler if this was in a rugby setting,” Palamo said. “So then I just decided I’d rather play rugby. It’s also been in my family for so long, so I don’t think I had a chance playing football.”
A natural athlete, Palamo played basketball and football at Davis (Calif.) High, before becoming a member of the USA Rugby Eagles national team. At age 19, he was the youngest player to ever appear in a World Cup match in 2007.
The Eagles are playing their second and final game of the Pacific Nations Cup, hosting Canada in Sacramento's Bonney Field. He did not play in the U.S.'s 37-29 loss to Japan last week. BYU captain Kyle Sumsion is listed among the eight reserves available for the game against the Canadians.
The game will be broadcast on Universal Sports at 4 p.m. MDT.
You can read the entire story at USARugby.org.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28