Former Utes football player is back on U.S. rugby national team
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Thretton Palamo has returned to rugby and will get his first taste of international rugby on Saturday in the Pacific Nations Cup since ending his football career.
The former Utes running back, defensive end and special teams player and son of Samoan international star Arona Palamo told USARugby.org's Chad Wise that he is happy to be back playing the game he grew up watching — the game that's "fun for me."
“I realized toward the end of my football career I kept comparing everything to rugby, how this would be cooler if this was in a rugby setting,” Palamo said. “So then I just decided I’d rather play rugby. It’s also been in my family for so long, so I don’t think I had a chance playing football.”
A natural athlete, Palamo played basketball and football at Davis (Calif.) High, before becoming a member of the USA Rugby Eagles national team. At age 19, he was the youngest player to ever appear in a World Cup match in 2007.
The Eagles are playing their second and final game of the Pacific Nations Cup, hosting Canada in Sacramento's Bonney Field. He did not play in the U.S.'s 37-29 loss to Japan last week. BYU captain Kyle Sumsion is listed among the eight reserves available for the game against the Canadians.
The game will be broadcast on Universal Sports at 4 p.m. MDT.
You can read the entire story at USARugby.org.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22