Lone Peak's Frank Jackson puts up 40 points, but Utah Reign lose in Dubai tournament semifinals
Qash Abbas, courtesy MPAC Sports Basketball Elite International Tournament
Lone Peak shooting guard Frank Jackson had another big scoring day at the MPAC Sports Basketball Elite International Tournament in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on Friday, putting up 40 points in a matchup against Huntington Prep of West Virginia.
It wasn't enough, though, as the Utah Reign, an AAU team comprised of Lone Peak High players, couldn't hold on to an 11-point halftime lead in losing to Huntington Prep 72-68.
Utah held its opponent to just 22 points in the first half, but Huntington Prep defeated the Reign for the second time in tournament play by outscoring the Utah team 50-35 in the second half.
With the loss, the Reign, now 3-2 in the tournament, will play Montverde Academy (Florida) in the third-place game on Saturday. Utah defeated Montverde 78-73 in its opening game of the Dubai tourney.
Jackson's 40-point effort comes two days after he scored 50 points in his team's previous game. The BYU commit also had three steals, two rebounds and two assists in Utah's semifinal matchup with Huntington Prep.
Jackson, who will be a junior this season at Lone Peak, is averaging 32.2 points per game in the Dubai tournament.
Huntington Prep was led by Ronshad Shabazz, who scored 34 points to go along with nine rebounds, two steals and one block; his teammate, Thomas Bryant, put up a triple-double with 19 points, 10 rebounds and 10 blocks.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19