Lone Peak's Frank Jackson puts up 40 points, but Utah Reign lose in Dubai tournament semifinals
Qash Abbas, courtesy MPAC Sports Basketball Elite International Tournament
Lone Peak shooting guard Frank Jackson had another big scoring day at the MPAC Sports Basketball Elite International Tournament in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on Friday, putting up 40 points in a matchup against Huntington Prep of West Virginia.
It wasn't enough, though, as the Utah Reign, an AAU team comprised of Lone Peak High players, couldn't hold on to an 11-point halftime lead in losing to Huntington Prep 72-68.
Utah held its opponent to just 22 points in the first half, but Huntington Prep defeated the Reign for the second time in tournament play by outscoring the Utah team 50-35 in the second half.
With the loss, the Reign, now 3-2 in the tournament, will play Montverde Academy (Florida) in the third-place game on Saturday. Utah defeated Montverde 78-73 in its opening game of the Dubai tourney.
Jackson's 40-point effort comes two days after he scored 50 points in his team's previous game. The BYU commit also had three steals, two rebounds and two assists in Utah's semifinal matchup with Huntington Prep.
Jackson, who will be a junior this season at Lone Peak, is averaging 32.2 points per game in the Dubai tournament.
Huntington Prep was led by Ronshad Shabazz, who scored 34 points to go along with nine rebounds, two steals and one block; his teammate, Thomas Bryant, put up a triple-double with 19 points, 10 rebounds and 10 blocks.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37