Lone Peak's Frank Jackson puts up 40 points, but Utah Reign lose in Dubai tournament semifinals
Qash Abbas, courtesy MPAC Sports Basketball Elite International Tournament
Lone Peak shooting guard Frank Jackson had another big scoring day at the MPAC Sports Basketball Elite International Tournament in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on Friday, putting up 40 points in a matchup against Huntington Prep of West Virginia.
It wasn't enough, though, as the Utah Reign, an AAU team comprised of Lone Peak High players, couldn't hold on to an 11-point halftime lead in losing to Huntington Prep 72-68.
Utah held its opponent to just 22 points in the first half, but Huntington Prep defeated the Reign for the second time in tournament play by outscoring the Utah team 50-35 in the second half.
With the loss, the Reign, now 3-2 in the tournament, will play Montverde Academy (Florida) in the third-place game on Saturday. Utah defeated Montverde 78-73 in its opening game of the Dubai tourney.
Jackson's 40-point effort comes two days after he scored 50 points in his team's previous game. The BYU commit also had three steals, two rebounds and two assists in Utah's semifinal matchup with Huntington Prep.
Jackson, who will be a junior this season at Lone Peak, is averaging 32.2 points per game in the Dubai tournament.
Huntington Prep was led by Ronshad Shabazz, who scored 34 points to go along with nine rebounds, two steals and one block; his teammate, Thomas Bryant, put up a triple-double with 19 points, 10 rebounds and 10 blocks.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26