Vai's View: A young friend with a bright future joins family for latest missionary discussion
It was clear from her words that prayer was not new to her. She addressed Heavenly Father with humility and reverence. Her voice was soft, yet it penetrated our souls as she asked to know if what we taught was true and for courage to follow her conviction.
Before they left my home, we hugged and I made it clear that if at any time they chose to end our lessons, such a choice wouldn't have any bearing on our friendship. I've learned from experience to give friends an "out" so they aren't taking the missionary discussions simply to please me or so it doesn't jeopardize our friendship.
No, I want them to hear the message of the restored gospel because they see it has value for their lives and that it might soothe their troubled souls; strengthen their marriages or relationships; help them be better husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters; and help them be a better friend, a better person or better at their jobs.
A day or two after our meeting, Ronell and Kristen each sent me a text (shared here with their permission):
"Hey Vai, thanks again for having us. Kristen and I had a great time. We appreciate the discussions and the sharing of wisdom. It's really wonderful to see the type of relationship you have with your family. Truly shows the positive impact of having faith and sharing that with your children."
"Hey Mr Sikahema! It's Kristen Mayhand. Thank you so much for having Ronell and I. It was a wonderful experience and I hope to see you and your family soon."
Vai Sikahema is the sports director and anchor for NBC10 Philadelphia and host of the "Vai & Gonzo Show" on ESPN Philadelphia Radio. He is a two-time All-Pro, two-time Emmy Award winner and was a member of BYU's 1984 national championship team.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: 'Defenders of the...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- From log cabin to university, BYU-Idaho...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 163
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 16
- Meet the Muslim actor playing Jesus in... 10
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8
- State bills to protect religious... 8