Peavler: Does a scheduling agreement with the Big 12 make sense for BYU?
So, the Sugar Bowl would be off the table. But look at the other bowls the Big 12 has:
Alamo Bowl: No. 2 Big 12 vs. No. 2 Pac-12
Russell Athletic: No. 3 Big 12 vs. No. 2 ACC
Liberty Bowl: No. 4 Big 12 vs. No. 5 SEC
Buffalo Wild Wings: No. 5 Big 12 vs. No. 7 Pac-12
Meineke Car Care Bowl: No. 6 Big 12 vs. No. 6 SEC
Heart of Dallas Bowl: No. 7 Big 12 vs. C-USA
For comparison's sake, here's BYU's bowl tie-ins since it went independent:
2011: Armed Forces Bowl vs. Tulsa (C-USA)
2012: Poinsettia Bowl vs. San Diego State (No. 3 MWC)
2013: Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl vs. Washington (No. 6 Pac-12)
2014: Miami Beach Bowl vs. American Athletic
2015: To be determined
2016: Poinsettia Bowl vs. Mountain West
2017: To be determined
2018: Poinsettia Bowl vs. Mountain West
Clearly, BYU needs any help it can get with scheduling bowl games. If a scheduling agreement includes any sort of bowl tie-in with the Big 12, the Cougars should take it.
That said, a scheduling agreement with the Big 12 wouldn't necessarily come with a bowl tie-in. After all, BYU wouldn't be a member of the Big 12 in other sports as Notre Dame is with the ACC. There would be less incentive for the conference to include BYU in its bowl tie-ins unless the conference could get more money.
All things considered, both BYU and the Big 12 can benefit from a scheduling agreement. Will it happen?
With today's unstable college football atmosphere, who can say?
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 53
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 45
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35