Peavler: Does a scheduling agreement with the Big 12 make sense for BYU?
So, the Sugar Bowl would be off the table. But look at the other bowls the Big 12 has:
Alamo Bowl: No. 2 Big 12 vs. No. 2 Pac-12
Russell Athletic: No. 3 Big 12 vs. No. 2 ACC
Liberty Bowl: No. 4 Big 12 vs. No. 5 SEC
Buffalo Wild Wings: No. 5 Big 12 vs. No. 7 Pac-12
Meineke Car Care Bowl: No. 6 Big 12 vs. No. 6 SEC
Heart of Dallas Bowl: No. 7 Big 12 vs. C-USA
For comparison's sake, here's BYU's bowl tie-ins since it went independent:
2011: Armed Forces Bowl vs. Tulsa (C-USA)
2012: Poinsettia Bowl vs. San Diego State (No. 3 MWC)
2013: Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl vs. Washington (No. 6 Pac-12)
2014: Miami Beach Bowl vs. American Athletic
2015: To be determined
2016: Poinsettia Bowl vs. Mountain West
2017: To be determined
2018: Poinsettia Bowl vs. Mountain West
Clearly, BYU needs any help it can get with scheduling bowl games. If a scheduling agreement includes any sort of bowl tie-in with the Big 12, the Cougars should take it.
That said, a scheduling agreement with the Big 12 wouldn't necessarily come with a bowl tie-in. After all, BYU wouldn't be a member of the Big 12 in other sports as Notre Dame is with the ACC. There would be less incentive for the conference to include BYU in its bowl tie-ins unless the conference could get more money.
All things considered, both BYU and the Big 12 can benefit from a scheduling agreement. Will it happen?
With today's unstable college football atmosphere, who can say?
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 46
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 26
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 25
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23