Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — The genealogy website Ancestry.com is working to fully restore its service after it was hit by a Distributed Denial of Service attack.
Company spokeswoman Heather Erickson says it means ancestry.com was overwhelmed with bogus traffic Monday.
“The attack was overloading our systems with massive amounts of traffic, but it did not access any data in servers,” Erickson said.
The site, which has more than 2 million subscribers, was down for much of Tuesday and wasn’t fully operational Wednesday afternoon. Its Web team neutralized the DDoS attack and was working to fully restore services.
“This has been a very frustrating and overwhelming experience, and our teams have been fantastic, working around the clock to make it neutralized,” Erickson said.
Erickson said she doesn't know where the attack came from.
“These types of attacks aren’t unique to Ancestry. We know of many other companies that have been victim to these types of attacks. It’s unfortunate that any company has to go through something like this,” she said.
The attack also impacted Ancestry.com's sister site Find a Grave, though as of Wednesday afternoon it was back up, according to its Facebook page.
Company officials said the sync and search feature in Family Tree Maker were still disabled until the site stability had been fully restored. They recommended people use the feature offline.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 293
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 130
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 74
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35