Lone Peak's Frank Jackson scores 50 points in win at MPAC Dubai tournament
Qash Abbas, courtesy MPAC Sports Basketball Elite International Tournament
Jackson, the Lone Peak High shooting guard, scored 50 points to lead the Utah Reign to a 101-97 victory over the MPAC International All-Stars on Wednesday during their fourth game of the MPAC Sports Basketball Elite International Tournament in Dubai. According to official stats from tournament officials, he also had two rebounds, two steals and two assists.
Reign teammates Talmage Gunther and Dylan Hedlin also scored in double figures, adding 16 and 15 points, respectively. Tyson Doman added seven points, two steals and three assists.
In addition to the Reign, an AAU team consisting of Lone Peak players, three other high schools from the United States are represented in the tournament: Huntington Prep (West Virginia), Montverde Academy (Florida) and Simeon (Chicago). Two high-level NBA draft prospects for this year are products of these schools: Jabari Parker prepped at Simeon and Andrew Wiggins is a Huntington Prep alum.
The Reign will play Huntington Prep on Friday in the tournament semifinals, with the winner advancing to Saturday's championship game. Huntington Prep has handed Utah its only tournament loss, defeating the Reign 79-72. Utah thus far has a 3-1 tournament record.
In the other semifinal, Simeon will face Montverde, which defeated the MPAC All-Star team 86-71 on Thursday.
The 6-foot-3 Jackson, recently rated No. 53 in the 2016 ESPN 60 basketball recruit rankings, has had a successful tournament thus far.
In four tournament games, Jackson is averaging 30.2 points per game according to official stats, including 29 points in a win over Montverde and 23 in a two-point overtime win against Simeon. He had 19 points in the loss to Huntington Prep.
Jackson is a part of the Cougars’ 2016 recruiting class.
Editor's note: Jackson's statistics, including his assist and rebound totals for the game against the MPAC All-Stars, have been adjusted from the original report to account for receiving official stats from tournament officials.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36