Utah wide receiver Dres Anderson rated one of top playmakers in Pac-12
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
More than 1,000 receiving yards and seven touchdown receptions helped Utah's speedy wide receiver Dres Anderson earn all-Pac 12 honorable mention honors last season.
Now the senior who's started 25 games the past three years is primed for even greater accolades in 2014. On Tuesday, Fox Sports named Anderson one of 20 playmakers who could dominate the Pac-12 this season.
"Anderson was overlooked last season, but he shouldn't be in 2014," Fox Sports wrote. "If Utah QB Travis Wilson's health checks out, he and Anderson could form one of the league's best duos."
Anderson had 53 receptions for 1,002 yards last year, good enough for a league-best 18.9 yards per catch. He's also the Pac-12's leading returning receiver with an average of 83.5 yards per game.
Four of Anderson's seven touchdown receptions in 2013 covered more than 45 yards, including 57 yards vs. Weber State, 49 vs. Oregon State, 54 vs. UCLA and 51 vs. Stanford.
The versatile wide receiver was also the Utes' top kickoff returner last season, averaging 21.1 yards on 11 kickoff returns. He added eight rushes for 30 yards and a touchdown.
There are four wide receivers, including Anderson, on the 20-man Fox Sports playmakers list. Oregon tops all schools with four players represented, while Arizona State, Stanford, UCLA and USC each have three. Cal, Oregon State and Washington State have one each.
Arizona, Colorado and Washington were not represented on the list.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 122
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20