Utah wide receiver Dres Anderson rated one of top playmakers in Pac-12
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
More than 1,000 receiving yards and seven touchdown receptions helped Utah's speedy wide receiver Dres Anderson earn all-Pac 12 honorable mention honors last season.
Now the senior who's started 25 games the past three years is primed for even greater accolades in 2014. On Tuesday, Fox Sports named Anderson one of 20 playmakers who could dominate the Pac-12 this season.
"Anderson was overlooked last season, but he shouldn't be in 2014," Fox Sports wrote. "If Utah QB Travis Wilson's health checks out, he and Anderson could form one of the league's best duos."
Anderson had 53 receptions for 1,002 yards last year, good enough for a league-best 18.9 yards per catch. He's also the Pac-12's leading returning receiver with an average of 83.5 yards per game.
Four of Anderson's seven touchdown receptions in 2013 covered more than 45 yards, including 57 yards vs. Weber State, 49 vs. Oregon State, 54 vs. UCLA and 51 vs. Stanford.
The versatile wide receiver was also the Utes' top kickoff returner last season, averaging 21.1 yards on 11 kickoff returns. He added eight rushes for 30 yards and a touchdown.
There are four wide receivers, including Anderson, on the 20-man Fox Sports playmakers list. Oregon tops all schools with four players represented, while Arizona State, Stanford, UCLA and USC each have three. Cal, Oregon State and Washington State have one each.
Arizona, Colorado and Washington were not represented on the list.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 52
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 33
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31