What's new: Vocal Point's 'Spectrum' offers a variety of songs
"SPECTRUM," BYU Vocal Point, BYU Records, $16.98
BYU Vocal Point’s new album, “Spectrum,” lives up to its name.
The album offers a variety of songs and each is performed with the group’s well-known a capella flare.
The nine-man group performs a little bit of everything, from covers of current pop favorites such as “Happy” and “Brave” to a Mozart tribute. An arrangement of “I Stand All Amazed” brings a religious aspect to the album, while “Newsies” and “Frankie Valli” medleys offer an upbeat facet to the CD.
“Spectrum” also includes two Vocal Point original songs. “Home for Me” was written by former Vocal Point members McKay Crockett and Keith Evans specifically to be performed by the group. Crockett currently works as Vocal Point’s director.
“Allegheny” was written by composer Ben Tengelsen, whose brother, Jake Tengelsen, is currently a member of the group. Ben Tengelsen told wesa.fm, Pittsburgh’s local NPR news station, that the song was inspired by the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers that meet in Pittsburgh to form the Ohio River. He sent the song to his brother, who then arranged it with the help of fellow Vocal Point member Scott Shattuck, according to the CD's credits.
The songs selected for the album are ones that were generally clean their original renditions, but a few lyrics have been changed for “Spectrum” to remove innuendos.
Originally founded in 1991, Vocal Point is composed of current students at Brigham Young University. The group has performed in many venues and participated in multiple competitions, including NBC’s “The Sing-Off” in 2011.
“Spectrum,” which was released in April, is the group’s 10th studio album and is available through Amazon.com, iTunes and multiple retail locations, including Deseret Book. Visit byuvocalpoint.com for additional information.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: WhitneyButters
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 46
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4