9-year-old basketball star plays for high school team, recruited by University of Miami
Not many fourth-grade girls seriously consider their collegiate dreams, but 9-year-old Jaden Newman recently received a recruiting letter from the University of Miami's women's basketball program.
Jaden's talent was highlighted in January when the young point guard defeated former NFL player Trevor Pryce in a dribbling contest live on Fox Sports.
The University of Miami wasn't the first offer Jaden has received from a team beyond her age level. She plays point guard alongside high schoolers on the varsity team at her K-12 Christian school in Florida, according to Bleacher Report.
With her father as the coach, one might presume favoritism on the team, but Jaden's stats debunk that theory with an average of 14.8 points and 7.5 assists per game, Fox Sports reported.
In her highest-scoring game, Jaden scored 63 points against a boys team.
"When I was 3 years old, my parents put a basketball in my hand and I just loved it ever since," Jaden said on Fox Sports.
Jaden visited the University of Miami June 10, but hasn't committed to anything, especially since it's her dream to play for the University of Connecticut.
"She wants to play for her country, for Connecticut and in the WNBA," her father said in an interview with ESPN.
According to ESPN, basketball skills run in the family.
Jaden's 11-year-old brother Julian also plays for the varsity team, averaging 17 points per game.
Though it's surely fierce competition on the Newman court, Jaden told Fox Sports that Julian was good, but she was better.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Elizabeth Smart on 'Today': 'Life couldn't be...
- The Clean Cut: 'Duck Dynasty' daughter dances...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- What kids crave in a relationship with a...
- Clean Cut: '20 things we should say more often'
- Meet the sandwich generation caring for aging...
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian Jim...
- SNL turns 40: 10 family friendly skits from...
- TV is reshaping what it means to be a... 10
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming... 9
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but... 7
- Health care system can make dying... 5
- The holy grail of community design 2
- 'Frozen' Disney World ride plans upset... 2
- SNL turns 40: 10 family friendly skits... 2
- Is preschool worth the money? 2