FAIRVIEW, Sanpete County — Neighbors say Marilee Poulson was one of the nicest people they knew.
"Marilee made everything fun and exciting, and everybody felt loved by Marilee," recalled longtime friend Janet Dunn.
On Tuesday, police said they still had not determined a motive for the apparent murder-suicide of a Poulson, 51, and her son.
The Sanpete County Sheriff's Office said 27-year-old Kyle Poulson shot his mother and then himself at their family home in Fairview Heights. Police received reports of the shooting about 5:30 p.m. Monday.
"Any word on a motive would be speculative at this point," a prepared statement from the sheriff's office read. "Our deepest heartfelt condolences go out to the family during this time."
Neighbors declined to speculate on a possible motive. But many said Kyle Poulson loved his mother, and his mother loved him and all her family.
"Her family was her life," Dunn said.
The small, tight-knit community of Fairview remained in shock Tuesday over the deaths. Marilee Poulson had lived in Fairview for more than 20 years and was well known in the region.
"She was just always cheery and willing to be there for people and help them out," said Diana Barnett, who had Poulson as her Young Women's president in her LDS Church ward a few years ago. "I was pretty shocked. She's a very nice lady. One of the happiest people I know.
"I think it's hard in a small town like this. Everyone kind of knows everyone," Barnett said.
Neighbors said Kyle Poulson had moved back in with his parents a few weeks ago.
Court records show Kyle Poulson's wife filed for divorce on June 4, as well as for a protective order against him on the same day.
Marilee Poulson's husband, who works in the mining industry as did Kyle Poulson, was out of town on business at the time of the incident.
Dunn, whose daughter is best friends with Marilee Poulson's daughter, said the woman went all out with everything she did, whether it was for her family, a church calling or her neighbors.
"She always had a smile. She was a 110 percenter," Dunn said. "It's just a hole we're never going to be able to fill."
Dunn said her son idolized Kyle Poulson when they were children.
"Kyle, he was the funnest kid ever growing up," she recalled.
Marilee Poulson is survived by her husband and an undisclosed number of children.
Kyle Poulson is survived by two children, according to his Facebook page.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Charges: Man murdered woman who had been...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 35
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 28
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 12