FAIRVIEW, Sanpete County — Neighbors say Marilee Poulson was one of the nicest people they knew.
"Marilee made everything fun and exciting, and everybody felt loved by Marilee," recalled longtime friend Janet Dunn.
On Tuesday, police said they still had not determined a motive for the apparent murder-suicide of a Poulson, 51, and her son.
The Sanpete County Sheriff's Office said 27-year-old Kyle Poulson shot his mother and then himself at their family home in Fairview Heights. Police received reports of the shooting about 5:30 p.m. Monday.
"Any word on a motive would be speculative at this point," a prepared statement from the sheriff's office read. "Our deepest heartfelt condolences go out to the family during this time."
Neighbors declined to speculate on a possible motive. But many said Kyle Poulson loved his mother, and his mother loved him and all her family.
"Her family was her life," Dunn said.
The small, tight-knit community of Fairview remained in shock Tuesday over the deaths. Marilee Poulson had lived in Fairview for more than 20 years and was well known in the region.
"She was just always cheery and willing to be there for people and help them out," said Diana Barnett, who had Poulson as her Young Women's president in her LDS Church ward a few years ago. "I was pretty shocked. She's a very nice lady. One of the happiest people I know.
"I think it's hard in a small town like this. Everyone kind of knows everyone," Barnett said.
Neighbors said Kyle Poulson had moved back in with his parents a few weeks ago.
Court records show Kyle Poulson's wife filed for divorce on June 4, as well as for a protective order against him on the same day.
Marilee Poulson's husband, who works in the mining industry as did Kyle Poulson, was out of town on business at the time of the incident.
Dunn, whose daughter is best friends with Marilee Poulson's daughter, said the woman went all out with everything she did, whether it was for her family, a church calling or her neighbors.
"She always had a smile. She was a 110 percenter," Dunn said. "It's just a hole we're never going to be able to fill."
Dunn said her son idolized Kyle Poulson when they were children.
"Kyle, he was the funnest kid ever growing up," she recalled.
Marilee Poulson is survived by her husband and an undisclosed number of children.
Kyle Poulson is survived by two children, according to his Facebook page.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Citywide remodels home for family of teen...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 8