We had the best Flag Day I have ever had. We have neighbors from Germany, and they both received their citizenship to our country. They were so excited, humbled and thankful to be a part of this country. They invited the whole neighborhood over to their home to have a flag-raising ceremony. They bought a 30-foot flagpole because they wanted everyone to share in their joy of being citizens.
I have taken for granted this country, my citizenship and my patriotism. This experience brought me to my knees, giving thanks for our freedom. It was a reminder to me of all the many blessings and freedoms we enjoy every day.
Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I will be thanking God for this country, and for the many opportunities that are ours because so many gave their lives for our freedom. I love this country, and I am going to be a better citizen.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Why so many Americans find Trump and...
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 34
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 32
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24
- Rely on invisible hand? 24