We had the best Flag Day I have ever had. We have neighbors from Germany, and they both received their citizenship to our country. They were so excited, humbled and thankful to be a part of this country. They invited the whole neighborhood over to their home to have a flag-raising ceremony. They bought a 30-foot flagpole because they wanted everyone to share in their joy of being citizens.
I have taken for granted this country, my citizenship and my patriotism. This experience brought me to my knees, giving thanks for our freedom. It was a reminder to me of all the many blessings and freedoms we enjoy every day.
Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I will be thanking God for this country, and for the many opportunities that are ours because so many gave their lives for our freedom. I love this country, and I am going to be a better citizen.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Parents reading to young...
- Drew Clark: What President Obama does well:...
- Letter: Pay for your share
- Letter: Repeating past mistakes
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will save lives
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a...
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 71
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31
- George F. Will: America’s welfare... 22
- Letter: Idle elimination 19