We had the best Flag Day I have ever had. We have neighbors from Germany, and they both received their citizenship to our country. They were so excited, humbled and thankful to be a part of this country. They invited the whole neighborhood over to their home to have a flag-raising ceremony. They bought a 30-foot flagpole because they wanted everyone to share in their joy of being citizens.
I have taken for granted this country, my citizenship and my patriotism. This experience brought me to my knees, giving thanks for our freedom. It was a reminder to me of all the many blessings and freedoms we enjoy every day.
Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I will be thanking God for this country, and for the many opportunities that are ours because so many gave their lives for our freedom. I love this country, and I am going to be a better citizen.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme Court...
- John Florez: A father's heartbreaking letter
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 79
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme... 49
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 43
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges... 17
- My view: Biggest reason for physician... 17
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout... 16