Salt Lake woman attacked neighbor with samurai sword, police say

Published: Monday, June 16 2014 3:30 p.m. MDT

Police arrested a Salt Lake woman Sunday after she allegedly attacked her neighbor with a 27-inch samurai sword.


Enlarge photo»

SALT LAKE CITY — Police arrested a Salt Lake woman Sunday after she allegedly attacked her neighbor with a 27-inch samurai sword.

Police were flagged down at 1134 S. 400 East around 5 p.m. by a man who had a large cut on his forearm. Natasha Lynn Davis, 24, apparently became angry with her 56-year-old downstairs neighbor when he complained about some noise, said Salt Lake Police Sgt. Robin Heiden.

Davis became angry and retrieved a samurai sword from her apartment, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.

"(She) then confronted and chased the neighbor outside in front of the building," the report states, noting that she twice swung the sword at the man. "Victim raised up his left arm to block the attack and was struck in the forearm by the sword, causing a deep laceration."

Davis' boyfriend then grabbed her from behind and kept her from continuing the attack, the report states.

"It sounds like the suspect's boyfriend got involved really quickly, so it could have been a lot worse," Heiden said.

The laceration was serious, but not life threatening and the victim declined to be taken to a hospital. He was advised by paramedics, though, to go to a doctor, Heiden said.

Davis was booked into jail for investigation of attempted murder.

"I don't know if this was a decoration sword or what, but obviously very dangerous," Heiden said. "That's why the charge is serious … for the damage she could have done if she had hit a certain spot or if he wasn't able to block …"

The man was struck by the bottom portion of the blade and, given the sword's length, "(Davis') actions could have easily caused substantial bodily injury or even death," the report states.

A search of court records shows that Davis was charged with assault, a class A misdemeanor, in May 2012, after allegedly punching her mother. She entered a guilty plea in abeyance and was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation and complete any recommended treatment. She was also ordered to take medications and continue with her schooling.

The plea was held in abeyance for 18 months. The charge was dismissed in March.

Email: emorgan@deseretnews.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere