Mike Terry, Deseret News
KSL Newsradio's Doug Wright interviews Congressman Jason Chaffetz
KSL's Becky Bruce reports on comments from Utah Congressman Jason Chaffetz
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah congressman says both Republicans and Democrats are becoming increasingly frustrated with the situation in Iraq and President Barack Obama's response to it.
Representative Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, said he has been to the U.S. embassy in Iraq where most personnel were evacuated Monday and Marines and soldiers beefed up security.
"It is a fortress. It is large. It is very well-protected," Chaffetz said on KSL Newsradio's "Doug Wright Show," adding, "I think that shows how dire the situation is."
Chaffetz describes the crumbling peace in Iraq as "very preventable," saying there were warning signs about the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terror group.
"ISIS and this movement has been forming for a long period of time," Chaffetz said.
What is most frustrating, the congressman said, is how long it took for the White House to consider ISIS a threat.
"It was just a few days ago that the president made the comment that the world is the safest it's been in a long time," Chaffetz said. "It is not a very safe place right now. We've got these flare-ups all across the globe."
Chaffetz pointed to the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq in 2011 as a key moment in the development toward today's events, saying we no longer have the intelligence from the ground that we once did.
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- 'People don't talk about it,' recovering...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 41
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16