GARDEN CITY, Utah — The producers at the Pickleville Playhouse have wanted to stage the musical masterpiece "Disney's Beauty and the Beast" for years, and they will finally realize that dream beginning June 19.
" 'Beauty and the Beast' is a show we have had in the back of our minds since we first saw it on Broadway in the '90s," said T.J. Davis, one of the directors of the show. "We've been attending as many quality, smaller-scale productions as we can find in order to get ideas about how to produce such a large show in smaller spaces. We brought in a special costumer designer (Kody Rash) who has designed for two other productions of 'Beauty and the Beast,' and he has been huge for us."
Davis said the playhouse is sparing no expense on costumes and is even having a special prosthetic built for the Beast.
Tony Carter, who plays Lumiere, and Ray Seams, who plays Cogsworth, both recently finished touring with the Utah Shakespeare Festival's Shakespeare-in-the-Schools production of "The Taming of the Shrew."
"They have great comedic chemistry and work extremely well together," Davis said. "They are total pros who feed off one another's energy throughout."
Belle and the Beast are double-cast; married couple Whitley Osborne Davis and Derek Davis take on the roles in some performances with Whitney Folkerson and Michael Francis filling them in others.
Based on the Academy Award-winning animated film and the Broadway show, this classic love story tells the tale of a young woman named Belle and a terrifying beast who has been cursed by an enchantress.
If the Beast can learn to love and be loved in return, the spell will break and he will be transformed back into a human. But time is running out.
Pickleville Playhouse's production of “Disney's Beauty and the Beast” is directed by Andrea Davis and T.J. Davis with choreography by Sharli King.
If you go ...
What: "Disney's Beauty and the Beast"
Where: Pickleville Playhouse, 2049 S. Bear Lake Blvd., Garden City
When: June 19-Aug. 30, times vary
How much: $19.50 for adults, $14.50 for children
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18