SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake Metro Gang Unit's public enemy No. 1 was arrested Sunday by troopers with the Utah Highway Patrol.
Jamie Hamlin, 34, was designated as a top priority on Friday and according to the Metro Gang Unit is a member of a violent street gang with outstanding warrants for investigation of a weapons violation and theft.
UHP Sgt. Jacob Cox said that at approximately 8 p.m., a trooper on patrol in the Rose Park neighborhood identified a stolen vehicle and attempted a traffic stop at 600 North and 1000 West. The vehicle fled, but was later found abandoned by the trooper.
Hamlin was apprehended nearby with the help of information provided by witnesses, who had seen multiple suspects flee on foot. He initially gave a false name but was later identified by authorities, according to UHP.
"Some good citizens in the area pointed out the area where he fled and we picked him up," Cox said.
According to UHP authorities were still searching for two additional suspects, the driver of the stolen vehicle and an unidentified woman.
Sunday was Hamlin's 34th birthday, according to UHP reports.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 159
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 79
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17