Orlin Wagner, AP
Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps has a new school once again.
Heaps, who officially left Kansas on Friday, will take his talents to South Beach, the University of Miami confirmed in a news release Sunday afternoon.
I am excited for the opportunity to play my last year of college football as a Miami Hurricane! Ready http://t.co/BNEviyUELo— Jake Heaps (@jtheaps9) June 15, 2014
Heaps announced on Instagram that he will receive a degree from Kansas, making him eligible to play this season with the Hurricanes.
The Sammamish, Washington, native started two years at BYU before leaving after his sophomore season. Heaps threw for 3,768 yards in his two seasons at BYU, with 24 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.
After sitting out the 2012 season, Heaps appeared in 11 games with Kansas last season, but finished the year with just 1,414 yards, eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions, while completing 49 percent of his passes.
Heaps will likely be thrown into the mix for the Miami starting quarterback job. Fifth-year senior Ryan Williams, who was expected to be the starter for the Hurricanes this season, went down with a torn ACL in April.
Miami also has redshirt freshman Kevin Olsen and sophomore Gray Crow, as well as two incoming freshmen as options.
The Hurricanes will open the season at Louisville Sept. 1.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16