Orlin Wagner, AP
Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps has a new school once again.
Heaps, who officially left Kansas on Friday, will take his talents to South Beach, the University of Miami confirmed in a news release Sunday afternoon.
I am excited for the opportunity to play my last year of college football as a Miami Hurricane! Ready http://t.co/BNEviyUELo— Jake Heaps (@jtheaps9) June 15, 2014
Heaps announced on Instagram that he will receive a degree from Kansas, making him eligible to play this season with the Hurricanes.
The Sammamish, Washington, native started two years at BYU before leaving after his sophomore season. Heaps threw for 3,768 yards in his two seasons at BYU, with 24 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.
After sitting out the 2012 season, Heaps appeared in 11 games with Kansas last season, but finished the year with just 1,414 yards, eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions, while completing 49 percent of his passes.
Heaps will likely be thrown into the mix for the Miami starting quarterback job. Fifth-year senior Ryan Williams, who was expected to be the starter for the Hurricanes this season, went down with a torn ACL in April.
Miami also has redshirt freshman Kevin Olsen and sophomore Gray Crow, as well as two incoming freshmen as options.
The Hurricanes will open the season at Louisville Sept. 1.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25