Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
It's a new season, with a new manager and a finalized roster, for the Orem Owlz.
Reporters met with first-year manager Dave Stapleton and were introduced to the players on Saturday during Orem's media day at Brent Brown Ballpark.
Stapleton takes over for Bill Richardson, who accepted a position with the Los Angeles Angels' Low-A affiliate, the Burlington Bees, after nearly leading the Owlz to the playoffs in 2013.
Among the players on this year's opening-day roster is infielder Trevor Gretzky, son of hockey legend Wayne Gretzky.
“There will be a period of us trying to figure everybody out but we have high expectations,” Stapleton said in a news release announcing the team's roster, comprised mainly of free agents and first-year players from the MLB draft.
“There’s always that expectation that we have to win right away, but we have to understand that this is a development process with the Angels, and that is trying to get the new players that we just drafted into our system into what we do and how we do things.”
Orem opens its season with a 7:15 p.m. MDT game at Idaho Falls on Monday. The Owlz open their home slate on Friday at 7:05 p.m. against Ogden.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16