Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
It's a new season, with a new manager and a finalized roster, for the Orem Owlz.
Reporters met with first-year manager Dave Stapleton and were introduced to the players on Saturday during Orem's media day at Brent Brown Ballpark.
Stapleton takes over for Bill Richardson, who accepted a position with the Los Angeles Angels' Low-A affiliate, the Burlington Bees, after nearly leading the Owlz to the playoffs in 2013.
Among the players on this year's opening-day roster is infielder Trevor Gretzky, son of hockey legend Wayne Gretzky.
“There will be a period of us trying to figure everybody out but we have high expectations,” Stapleton said in a news release announcing the team's roster, comprised mainly of free agents and first-year players from the MLB draft.
“There’s always that expectation that we have to win right away, but we have to understand that this is a development process with the Angels, and that is trying to get the new players that we just drafted into our system into what we do and how we do things.”
Orem opens its season with a 7:15 p.m. MDT game at Idaho Falls on Monday. The Owlz open their home slate on Friday at 7:05 p.m. against Ogden.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 67
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51