Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
It's a new season, with a new manager and a finalized roster, for the Orem Owlz.
Reporters met with first-year manager Dave Stapleton and were introduced to the players on Saturday during Orem's media day at Brent Brown Ballpark.
Stapleton takes over for Bill Richardson, who accepted a position with the Los Angeles Angels' Low-A affiliate, the Burlington Bees, after nearly leading the Owlz to the playoffs in 2013.
Among the players on this year's opening-day roster is infielder Trevor Gretzky, son of hockey legend Wayne Gretzky.
“There will be a period of us trying to figure everybody out but we have high expectations,” Stapleton said in a news release announcing the team's roster, comprised mainly of free agents and first-year players from the MLB draft.
“There’s always that expectation that we have to win right away, but we have to understand that this is a development process with the Angels, and that is trying to get the new players that we just drafted into our system into what we do and how we do things.”
Orem opens its season with a 7:15 p.m. MDT game at Idaho Falls on Monday. The Owlz open their home slate on Friday at 7:05 p.m. against Ogden.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 20