A very special father: Marty Haws has done everything he can to help his children succeed
DN: Some say you make your own luck, but has luck played any part in raising two Mr. Basketball players?
TH: You have to be lucky and good. A lot of things have to go your way and some of it is out of your control.
DN: What is the biggest regret Marty may have as a father? What's been the toughest challenge?
TH: Haha, not having five more sons.
DN: How has Marty been as a son to his father Ralph and why might that be important?
TH: Anybody that knows Grandpa Ralph knows what a good dad/grandpa he is. Marty would not want to say what a great son he has been but rather how blessed he is to have Ralph as his example to follow.
DN: What's Marty's greatest advice to his children on handling losses or adversity?
TH: Marty always told our kids after a loss, "Keep moving!" He will also tell them, "When you are ready, I have a few things to go over with you." Sometimes it will take a week, but my boys will always come to him and let their dad give them pointers and advice on how they can be better.
DN: What are some keys Marty has tried to instill in his kids to honor God, the core of your family life?
TH: Sometimes success can make things cloudy. The gospel has always given us the anchor in keeping things clear and in perspective.
After Tyler’s Lone Peak team won a state championship, he left the throng celebrating on the court to find his father and offer a big hug. He whispered in Marty’s ear: “We did it, Dad.”
That, in a nutshell, is Marty Haws and the results of his remarkable fatherly touch.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- BYU's Jaylen Reyes provides invaluable...
- Scott Mitchell: Former U., NFL quarterback...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Young players will have the chance to make an...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 87
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29