A very special father: Marty Haws has done everything he can to help his children succeed
DN: Some say you make your own luck, but has luck played any part in raising two Mr. Basketball players?
TH: You have to be lucky and good. A lot of things have to go your way and some of it is out of your control.
DN: What is the biggest regret Marty may have as a father? What's been the toughest challenge?
TH: Haha, not having five more sons.
DN: How has Marty been as a son to his father Ralph and why might that be important?
TH: Anybody that knows Grandpa Ralph knows what a good dad/grandpa he is. Marty would not want to say what a great son he has been but rather how blessed he is to have Ralph as his example to follow.
DN: What's Marty's greatest advice to his children on handling losses or adversity?
TH: Marty always told our kids after a loss, "Keep moving!" He will also tell them, "When you are ready, I have a few things to go over with you." Sometimes it will take a week, but my boys will always come to him and let their dad give them pointers and advice on how they can be better.
DN: What are some keys Marty has tried to instill in his kids to honor God, the core of your family life?
TH: Sometimes success can make things cloudy. The gospel has always given us the anchor in keeping things clear and in perspective.
After Tyler’s Lone Peak team won a state championship, he left the throng celebrating on the court to find his father and offer a big hug. He whispered in Marty’s ear: “We did it, Dad.”
That, in a nutshell, is Marty Haws and the results of his remarkable fatherly touch.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 49
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 31
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 21