BYU track: Kyle Baker wraps up BYU participation in NCAA Championships
Senior Kyle Baker finished 23rd in the javelin throw Saturday to wrap up BYU’s track and field season at the 2014 NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Hayward Field.
After faults on his first two attempts, Baker made a throw of 59.89 meters on his final attempt.
“I think the season overall was an amazing season with all the qualifiers we had in the regionals,” BYU head coach Ed Eyestone said. “I’m proud of our staff and athletes for all the hard work they put in. Next year we need to take the next step and take more of those qualifiers to nationals. I think that is doable.”
Baker was the sixth BYU athlete to compete in the championship round. Three Cougars completed their seasons Wednesday. Shea Martinez placed 17th in the 800-meter run, and Andrea Harrison finished 19th in the steeplechase for the women's team. On the men's side, Jason Witt took 12th in the in the 10,000-meter run. Chase Dalton moved up nine spots on Thursday to finish ninth in the decathlon, while teammate Joshua Weirich finished 19th for BYU.
Baker, Dalton, Weirich and Harrison wrapped up their senior seasons in the NCAA Championships this year. Witt and Martinez will both return next season and look to improve on their top-20 finishes. Of the 42 athletes BYU qualified for the Western Preliminaries this season, 11 women and 17 men will return and compete on next year’s team.
Spencer Shamo is a Communications major at BYU and the BYU softball SID.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 83
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 27
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 20