Utah native, former Grizzlies player Trevor Lewis wins second Stanley Cup title
Kathy Willens, AP
WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies' season may have ended on a rocky note in late April, but their future looks bright under head coach Tim Branham after what they accomplished during his first season as coach in Utah.
For one former Grizzlies player and Utah native, the end of the season delivered another championship Friday night. Trevor Lewis and the L.A. Kings defeated the New York Rangers 3-2 in double overtime of Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals, earning their second title in three seasons.
After he won his first championship back in 2012, Lewis brought the Stanley Cup back to his home in Salt Lake City.
This season, Lewis and the rest of his teammates from L.A. had an interesting way of making it back to the Stanley Cup for the second time in three seasons, as they played in three Game 7s in the NHL Western Conference playoffs. That included being down 3-0 in the first round of the playoffs.
Lewis helped the Kings advance, including scoring the game-winning goal against the Anaheim Ducks, affiliate of the Utah Grizzlies, in Game 6 of a second-round series.
During the NHL lockout back in the 2012-13 season, Lewis spent some time with the Grizzlies, and he scored three goals and had six assists during that span with the team.
Back in August of 2012, Lewis brought the Stanley Cup back to his hometown, including a stop at the Maverick Center, where he has a good relationship with the ECHL Grizzlies. His profile pic on Twitter (his handle is @trevorlewis22) shows Lewis riding around the University of Utah football field with the cup, and hockey tradition dictates that each player on the winning Stanley Cup team gets custody to have the cup for one day.
Will Lewis once again bring the Stanley Cup back to Utah to share his second championship in three seasons here with his friends, family and fans here in the state?
Follow David Winkworth on Twitter @RealDavidVito and listen to his podcast at sportsathomeradio.com for news and notes inside and out of the state of Utah in the world of sports.
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- BYU-Utah State is a rivalry again due to...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 56
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35