USU track: Chari Hawkins earns second team All-America honors with ninth-place finish in heptathlon at NCAA Finals
For the second year in a row, Utah State's Chari Hawkins earned second team All-America honors in the heptathlon after placing ninth in the event with a season-best 5,552 points at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Finals on Friday at Hayward Field.
Hawkins also earned second team All-America honors in the heptathlon at last year’s NCAA Finals as she placed 11th with a school record 5,598 points.
Hawkins, a junior from Rexburg, Idaho (Madison High School), began the final day of competition in the heptathlon by tying for eighth place in the long jump with a distance of 5.71m. She then set a season best in the javelin with a toss of 38.92 to finish 13th, and then she ran a personal-best time of 2:24.13 in the 800m to finish 13th.
During the first day of competition in the heptathlon, Hawkins finished 12th in the 100m hurdles with a time of 13.97 and then placed ninth in the high jump with a mark of 1.72m. She then had a personal-best toss of 11.86m in the shot put to place 11th and finished 10th in the 200m with a time of 25.28.
Hawkins automatically advanced to the NCAA Finals in the heptathlon after posting a score of 5,550 points at the Mt. SAC Relays on April 17.
Hawkins, who also earned honorable mention All-American honors in the pentathlon during the 2014 indoor track and field season, is the 35th Utah State track and cross-country athlete to earn All-America honors for the 72nd time in school history.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- USU football: Utah State heading to Mountain...
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- College football countdown No. 37: Utah State...
- 4 Utah State linemen end up on Preseason...
- USU football: Utah State picked to finish...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20