USU track: Chari Hawkins earns second team All-America honors with ninth-place finish in heptathlon at NCAA Finals
For the second year in a row, Utah State's Chari Hawkins earned second team All-America honors in the heptathlon after placing ninth in the event with a season-best 5,552 points at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Finals on Friday at Hayward Field.
Hawkins also earned second team All-America honors in the heptathlon at last year’s NCAA Finals as she placed 11th with a school record 5,598 points.
Hawkins, a junior from Rexburg, Idaho (Madison High School), began the final day of competition in the heptathlon by tying for eighth place in the long jump with a distance of 5.71m. She then set a season best in the javelin with a toss of 38.92 to finish 13th, and then she ran a personal-best time of 2:24.13 in the 800m to finish 13th.
During the first day of competition in the heptathlon, Hawkins finished 12th in the 100m hurdles with a time of 13.97 and then placed ninth in the high jump with a mark of 1.72m. She then had a personal-best toss of 11.86m in the shot put to place 11th and finished 10th in the 200m with a time of 25.28.
Hawkins automatically advanced to the NCAA Finals in the heptathlon after posting a score of 5,550 points at the Mt. SAC Relays on April 17.
Hawkins, who also earned honorable mention All-American honors in the pentathlon during the 2014 indoor track and field season, is the 35th Utah State track and cross-country athlete to earn All-America honors for the 72nd time in school history.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Ken Beazer proud of his accomplishments at...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 88
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 55
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 13