Utah Highway Patrol
NEPHI — Five people were hospitalized Friday when a motor home collided with another car in Juab County.
A couple in a motor home towing a boat pulled into the emergency lane on northbound I-15 about 11:40 a.m. Friday before apparently trying to make a U-turn, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The motor home pulled into the travel lane and was T-boned by a northbound Toyota Highlander occupied by five people, according to a UHP news release. The driver of the motor home accelerated, sending the vehicle across the median and southbound lanes.
The motor home came to a stop at the bottom of an embankment on the west side of the freeway.
Four people were treated at Central Valley Medical Center in Nephi and released, a UHP spokesman reported, but did not specify which vehicles they had been traveling in.
A 2-year-old girl from Holladay who was riding in the Highlander was taken by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Hospital, where she was expected to stay overnight as a precaution.
"Making a U-turn on any freeway is illegal and extremely unsafe," according to the UHP news release. "The marked median turn areas are for emergency vehicles only and are clearly posted as such. All drivers must go to the next exit if they need to turn around and head the other direction."
— McKenzie Romero
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- Bingham High students walk out over... 83
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18