3 women thrown from vehicle, 1 killed in I-15 crash
Utah Highway Patrol
MONA, Juab County — Members of an Arizona family were injured and one woman was killed when a tire blew out on their vehicle Friday.
The family was driving south on I-15 to Mesa, Arizona, and approaching Mona when the right rear tire on their Chevrolet Trailblazer blew out about 11 a.m., the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The vehicle began to swerve back and forth, then spun out and rolled several times off the right side of the road.
The grandmother and driver, 55-year-old Evangelina Corral, was not wearing a seat belt and was thrown from the vehicle, according to UHP. She was transported to Central Valley Medical Center where she died of her injuries.
Roxanna Corral, 25, was sitting in the front passenger seat and was not wearing a seat belt. She was also ejected when the vehicle rolled and sustained injuries to her pelvis.
Roxanna Coral's daughters were seated in the back. Yessina Corral, 18, was also thrown from the vehicle but was not seriously injured. She was treated and released from Central Valley Medical Center.
Seven-year-old Janexis Corral was sitting in a booster seat with a seat belt. She was flown to Primary Children's Hospital as a precaution, where she was expected to remain overnight.
Southbound I-15 was closed to allow a medical helicopter to land, and the right lane remained closed while medical crews were on scene, UHP reported.
A UHP spokesman urged drivers to wear seat belts, saying they could have made a difference in the fatal crash.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 94
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 40
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 14
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11