3 women thrown from vehicle, 1 killed in I-15 crash
Utah Highway Patrol
MONA, Juab County — Members of an Arizona family were injured and one woman was killed when a tire blew out on their vehicle Friday.
The family was driving south on I-15 to Mesa, Arizona, and approaching Mona when the right rear tire on their Chevrolet Trailblazer blew out about 11 a.m., the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The vehicle began to swerve back and forth, then spun out and rolled several times off the right side of the road.
The grandmother and driver, 55-year-old Evangelina Corral, was not wearing a seat belt and was thrown from the vehicle, according to UHP. She was transported to Central Valley Medical Center where she died of her injuries.
Roxanna Corral, 25, was sitting in the front passenger seat and was not wearing a seat belt. She was also ejected when the vehicle rolled and sustained injuries to her pelvis.
Roxanna Coral's daughters were seated in the back. Yessina Corral, 18, was also thrown from the vehicle but was not seriously injured. She was treated and released from Central Valley Medical Center.
Seven-year-old Janexis Corral was sitting in a booster seat with a seat belt. She was flown to Primary Children's Hospital as a precaution, where she was expected to remain overnight.
Southbound I-15 was closed to allow a medical helicopter to land, and the right lane remained closed while medical crews were on scene, UHP reported.
A UHP spokesman urged drivers to wear seat belts, saying they could have made a difference in the fatal crash.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21