3 women thrown from vehicle, 1 killed in I-15 crash
Utah Highway Patrol
MONA, Juab County — Members of an Arizona family were injured and one woman was killed when a tire blew out on their vehicle Friday.
The family was driving south on I-15 to Mesa, Arizona, and approaching Mona when the right rear tire on their Chevrolet Trailblazer blew out about 11 a.m., the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The vehicle began to swerve back and forth, then spun out and rolled several times off the right side of the road.
The grandmother and driver, 55-year-old Evangelina Corral, was not wearing a seat belt and was thrown from the vehicle, according to UHP. She was transported to Central Valley Medical Center where she died of her injuries.
Roxanna Corral, 25, was sitting in the front passenger seat and was not wearing a seat belt. She was also ejected when the vehicle rolled and sustained injuries to her pelvis.
Roxanna Coral's daughters were seated in the back. Yessina Corral, 18, was also thrown from the vehicle but was not seriously injured. She was treated and released from Central Valley Medical Center.
Seven-year-old Janexis Corral was sitting in a booster seat with a seat belt. She was flown to Primary Children's Hospital as a precaution, where she was expected to remain overnight.
Southbound I-15 was closed to allow a medical helicopter to land, and the right lane remained closed while medical crews were on scene, UHP reported.
A UHP spokesman urged drivers to wear seat belts, saying they could have made a difference in the fatal crash.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- 10-month-old girl drowns in bathtub in Eagle...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 66
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 53
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 42
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15