Former BYU quarterback John Beck primed to make CFL debut with B.C. Lions
He was released by the Texans on Oct. 3, 2012, and wasn't on a roster until the Lions signed him three months ago. Beck is trying to make this chance turn out more positive than his stint in the NFL.
Beck has had opportunities to make his case with the Lions due to the team’s quarterback situation. Lulay, who's started 45 games for B.C. over the past three seasons, underwent offseason surgery on his throwing shoulder, then re-aggravated the injury during the first day of training camp, according to the Vancouver Sun. It’s unclear exactly when he will be game ready and able to reclaim his starting job.
With Lulay’s unstable situation, B.C. chose to bring in Glenn, acquiring him from the expansion Ottawa RedBlacks last month. Glenn has thrown for 39,418 yards, 222 touchdowns and 151 interceptions in his 13-year CFL career while playing for four different teams, and he gives the Lions another quarterback with extensive experience playing the CFL game.
B.C.’s fourth quarterback, the CFL rookie Partridge, signed with the team in May.
Beck, for his part, has made a positive impression with coaches and teammates.
“John Beck right now has performed extremely well. You’ve seen some of the accurate throws. He’s got a strong arm, he’s a pro,” Benevides told bclions.com. “He’s taking to the playbook (and) he’s taking to the rules of our league. He’s doing a really good job. He factors in, in a big way.”
For Beck, the matchup with Edmonton represents a chance to improve and gain experience in a game that is still relatively new to him.
“It’s been a good experience for me and I’m happy with every day that goes by with the things that I can learn,” Beck told bclions.com. “I just look forward in this game to getting an opportunity to play. Be it a good play or a bad play, I’m going to be able to learn from it and help me become a better player.”
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33