Rick Bowmer, AP
Senior Chase Dalton moved up the board to finish ninth in the decathlon Thursday at the 2014 NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Hayward Field.
“Chase and Josh both competed well,” BYU head coach Ed Eyestone said. “Chase had a really nice javelin and discus to put him back in the hunt and end in the top 10. Josh was able to move into the top 20 and looked good in the pole vault. Overall a good day for both.”
Dalton finished with 7568 points with his highest point total coming in the 110-meter hurdles earning 824 points with a time of 15.21 seconds. Senior Joshua Weirich finished in 19th place, moving up from 21st after Wednesday’s first five events. Weirich earned 849 points and finished seventh in the pole vault with a mark of 4.80 meters.
Dalton made a big mark in the second event of the day, the discus throw. Dalton posted a mark of 44.66 meters on his second attempt to finish third and earn 760 points. Dalton finished third again in the javelin throw with a mark of 62.46 meters and earning 775 points.
Dalton finished off the day placing ninth in the 1500-meter run to stay one point ahead of Reinis Kregers of Kansas State in the overall standings.
Senior Kyle Baker will finish up competition for the Cougars on Saturday in the javelin throw beginning at 12:35 p.m. PDT.
Spencer Shamo is a Communications major at BYU and the BYU softball SID.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15