Man posing as cop sexually assaulted 8-year-old girl, police say
KEARNS — Police are looking for a man who told a girl he was a police officer, got her alone and then sexually assaulted her.
The 8-year-old girl was walking with another girl her age about 1:45 p.m. on Monday when a man approached them near 4985 Pieper Blvd. The man told the girls he was a police officer. When they asked why he wasn't wearing a uniform, he told the girls it made it easier for him to catch "bad guys," Unified police detective Ken Hansen said.
"He told the two girls he was going to walk them home," Hansen said. "They came to a certain point where he told one of the girls to go home on her own, and a few moments later when she was away, he picked up the other girl and threw her over a fence."
The man climbed over the fence and sexually assaulted her, then left her there, Hansen said. The girl waited until she believed he was gone and then went home.
Hansen called the afternoon attack "brazen" and "concerning."
Police believe the man is young and white with bushy brown hair and a scar on one corner of his mouth with blue or green eyes, Hansen said. He was wearing blue pajama-style pants and may have been driving a "shiny" red car with "shiny" wheels.
Unified police are canvassing nearby neighborhoods and searching for additional witnesses, said Hansen, who urges parents in the area to be cautious about where they allow their children to go.
Anyone with information about the man is asked to call Unified police at 801-385-GOTTIPS or 385-468-8477.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22